Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By JAYCEE3K Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:36 am
marrelarre wrote:I currently use a SP-303 before I sample it into the MPC3000, it makes it sounds very lo-fi and dirty and I like it a lot. check my signature and most of it will be 303 sampled stuff.

hey thats dope!

only Roland sp I ever rly cared about was the 555 tho. U can make stuff sound like that, it has nice effects and is dope for live stuff. I messed around with my friends.
Star One wrote:
JAYCEE3K wrote:I was looking into the s950 at first... but i always hear of everyone going for S950's/S900's. i prefer something i don't hear people use often.

That's what I did. Its a lot of chasing sometimes based on so many others using it, someone well known using it, or to fit in. Just for the brag. Of couse many others really use it.

But there are so many joints out, taking the beaten path and you miss out on some real ILL peices.

exactly. I dont put too much stake on who used what.
By teevee Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:50 pm
marrelarre wrote:I currently use a SP-303 before I sample it into the MPC3000, it makes it sounds very lo-fi and dirty and I like it a lot. check my signature and most of it will be 303 sampled stuff.

This may sound crazy but if you want a unit that can make your sound lo-fi without buying a desktop unit more, then you could considering Boss VF-1 (Multi-effects Processor).
• The unit is based on Roland’s COSM technology (Composite Object Sound Modeling)

Pictures:

Nevertheless, the unit has a lo-fi effect (and more)

I took a picture from the manual, concerning the lo-fi effect.
By marrelarre Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:40 pm
Well I mean I use it because I want it to be destructive, to permanently alter the sound of my samples. I after that put it through a effects unit (DP4) where I can add effects I like.

It could however work to use that box as effects on the signal running from the Turntable to the MPC, but Its the same size as my SP-303 so I dont see the point when the 303 can add limitless amounts of effects to my samples.

Tho I will definitely look into that machine!
By mr_debauch Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:42 pm
those fx are what has evolved from the fx in the SP 303... it's the shit roland put in their keyboards and MVs. They have more params to tweak... they have some that sound pretty okay.... but they aren't the 303...... the 303 has the best turntable lo-fi, the other ones they made later for gramophone and that aren't as good at all...

that being said.. that fx box is probably great to have if it does have all the cosm fx and if there are still 3 parameters you can adjust in real time (maybe via midi)
By teevee Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:27 am
mr_debauch wrote:those fx are what has evolved from the fx in the SP 303... it's the **** roland put in their keyboards and MVs. They have more params to tweak... they have some that sound pretty okay.... but they aren't the 303...... the 303 has the best turntable lo-fi, the other ones they made later for gramophone and that aren't as good at all...

that being said.. that fx box is probably great to have if it does have all the cosm fx and if there are still 3 parameters you can adjust in real time (maybe via midi)

Hello Mr_Debauch
I checked the Boss VF-1 editor in Sounddiver and if there is a Sounddiver editor, then I can ensure you that there are midi and possibility for real-time editing :)

I took a screenshot from the Boss SP303 manual concerning the lofi effect:

I really don’t understand the hype about Boss sp303. To me SP303 seems a bit superficial:
1. Only 3 parameters to adjust
2. As the unit only has midi-in, then it is impossible to make a fully good editor for the unit.
By phineus Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:34 am
right I'll post this again because you're talking about the sp303

Also, that resampling thing has me another question. to those guys rocking that sp12/1200 + s900/s950 combo, how many of you like, sample stuff (ie drums) into the s900/s950 that has been already sampled on the 12/1200 to give it that sound?... and you you've saved space on the 12/1200 for other sounds.... just wondered if people do that?
By marrelarre Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:59 am
teevee wrote:I really don’t understand the hype about Boss sp303. To me SP303 seems a bit superficial:
1. Only 3 parameters to adjust
2. As the unit only has midi-in, then it is impossible to make a fully good editor for the unit.

well its not really the Lo-fi effect I like the most. You can also sample in "lo-fi" mode which allows you to change between a set of different bandwidth settings. (11khz, 26khz, 48khz).

to answer nr 2 I dont use it with midi, I just resample into the MPC to have maximum control.

- Would I use the 303 by itself ? probably not, it just doenst go where I wanna go.
- does it sound good? yes it does.
By Star One Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K0aewVSJGM
^In case that video doesn't play..

[b][color=pink]
11.2khz
12.8khz
14.8khz
17.9khz
22.3khz
29.8khz
44.6khz

ASR-10 can sample in at 32.8khz and 44.6khz, but has the sample convert feature, which I think goes only to 12.8 but I could be wrong.

Just throwing two other options out.
Last edited by Star One on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By fooddude Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:13 pm
I believe you can use the sp202/303 as a lo-fi/bitcrusher live fx on an aux/sub send on a mixer. Let's say, if you want to "lo-fi" other sound sources/synths realtime(without needing to actually sample into it), to maybe closer match the grit of an mpc60, s9xx or sp12xx. Don't have one..but I've always wanted some kind of bitcrusher/lo-fi fx unit to match certain things in the mix better. My mpc60 and s950 at times sounds much different than my synths, depending on sound-design/patch; especially bright, clean or digital sounds.

That Boss VF1 looks interesting. Is the lo-fi effect in that a digital effect/parameter/architecture, or does it use real actual converters?
By Mike Boogie Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:05 pm
I'm still not sure why people are STILL obsessing over these machines. I know they are a blast to work with and on. But the SOUND, is where the love is...

There are so many ways to get "dat 12-bit SP1200" ring. I want everyone to take out their weapon of choice, find a nice sample you recognize, and try this:

Resample:

Bitrate: 12-bit
Frequency: 26.04 kHz

Let me know how that works for you? :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:
By Coz Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:08 pm
Mike Boogie wrote:Let me know how that works for you? :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:

Bit reducing notoriously doesn't get you 'that' sound. It's not even close.

If 'that' sound is what people want, they need to pony up the cash to get an SP. There's no substitute. :smoker:
By mr_debauch Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:28 am
I don't use the 303 often as a sampler... mostly as a real time effect to run stuff through it that is playing in real time (it can do that) and you can switch between different ones to try out what sounds good... this can be done with stuff sampled into the machine or to stuff coming through the line input.

What is there to like about the specific elements of the 303's effects? nothing really, i mean it's almost like having a multi effect pedal for guitars..... there are no neve channel strip quality stuff in there..... but it's the right collection of on the fly effects.. good little easy to use sampler built in that has no sample time limitations (you can record an hour onto a pad if you want) and it goes very well with other gear like an mpc.... it doesn't mirror anything too much that other gear does but add onto other gear well.

it's a bunch of nice features we have on other gear... but a collection of those features built into one piece of gear and the conglomeration of of these features results in a good sound. At the price of a 303, it's a no brainer.

As for the real SPs, there is a reason the thing you see companies trying to do is emulate the sound that those samplers do... they copy the converters influence on the audio passing through them... they copy the artefacting that occurs when you change settings like pitch... they try to really get all the sonic parts copied. The thing they all don't get right which is equally important is the limitations that cause you to use certain features to get around said limitations that influence how songs are built using those machines. You can't run an mp3 through an sp-1200 emulator and have it sound like an sp-1200 beat.

You can only record a few seconds of samples... so you trim sounds short... you try to reuse sounds at different pitches to get two instruments out of one sound... you pitch stuff up before sampling so you record a less long sample and then re-pitch it back to normal in the machine... all these techniques when used and combined make a beat turn out different than slapping an sp effect in a daw on every component of your daw made beat... and at the end of the day you can clearly hear the difference.

the 60 and SP machines were intended to be sort of universal drum machines back when drum machines were all synths or romplers... you needed to lug a whole other machine around and plug it in to get different drum sounds.... so you could sample those into one machine and load up all those sounds from disks. You could also record your own drum track with your own recordings. Then people decided to also record little instrument notes and found out you could in the same machine do 2 tasks with one machine (a lead or bass..... AND the drum track) and then people through looping and making small chop variations they found out that these were perfect tools to program what DJs were doing by looping breaks and hooks from songs. They weren't intended to do all that stuff.... but then it evolved to become a style and sound.

I mean when a jazz song comes on you know it's jazz because of the jazz elements that define it.. you know a punk song because of it's staple elements.... well that early form of hip hop that was invented on SPs has staple elements that are often defined by the circumstances of using SPs... and so they are desirable today to people who are interested in authentically creating that same music style.