Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By mr_debauch Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 am
phineus wrote:guys! come on now. answer my **** question. you don't want to see me angry.

the sp sounds from the sp sampled into the s950 will sound like you sampled something from the sp into the 950..... but then you wont be able to further manipulate the sounds in the SP...

the idea was the sp had short max sample time... 5 seconds max on the 12, 10 seconds max on the 1200.... well what if you wanted to sample a 2 bar sample? you were sampling that in the 950 or else it wasn't happening........ but the 950 at that time had the best sample time to good sound quality ratio.... and was able to be sequenced by the SP to put it all together. There would have been no point in doing the thing you suggested but it may have still happened.
By teevee Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:37 am
Mike Boogie wrote:I'm still not sure why people are STILL obsessing over these machines. I know they are a blast to work with and on. But the SOUND, is where the love is...

There are so many ways to get "dat 12-bit SP1200" ring. I want everyone to take out their weapon of choice, find a nice sample you recognize, and try this:

Resample:

Bitrate: 12-bit
Frequency: 26.04 kHz

Let me know how that works for you? :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:

I still miss the warm DAC sound, which the SSM2044 chip provide?

We are talking “analog vs digital” here :)
By jibber Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:14 am
I remember that comparison on gearslutz where a user created the same beat on his SP1200 and then on the Mashine using the "SP-Mode". It sounded kinda close, but the SP beat was clearly the winner... i guess it's a bit like driving a real AC Cobra, compared to a kit car... not that i ever drove an AC Cobra (nor the kit car versions), but i'd take a guess the real one feels more "authentic".

PS: Dope combination: SP1200 (master) for drums and small samples, MPC2500 for main samples. :wink: :smoker:
By Mike Boogie Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:00 pm
teevee wrote:I still miss the warm DAC sound, which the SSM2044 chip provide?

We are talking “analog vs digital” here :)

Trust me I empathize with the nostalgia. All analog gear gives a nice amount of warmth, that's due to the nature of Analog. (like how 2 808's side-by-side have small differences)

I implore you to try the resample technique. You can even get fancy and use the ole "pitch-up" trick and get damn close.

Coz wrote:
Bit reducing notoriously doesn't get you 'that' sound. It's not even close.

If 'that' sound is what people want, they need to pony up the cash to get an SP. There's no substitute. :smoker:

I can dig it, but the Frequency change to 26.04 of the resample is where the magic begins!
By peterpiper Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:12 pm
John Nolting was steps ahead and did a good job IMO.

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~nolting/220c/

But still.....It won't sound like an SP if you don't use the same limitations of an SP (just like debauch said above).
Force yourself to make a beat with the following limitations
10 sec or less,
no finetuning (only semitones),
8x polyphony,
only tuning OR decay on samples (not both at the same time),
+/- 8 semitones on a sample,
1 track sequencer,
no note off (if you want a long sample to stop you'll have to use an empty pad to cut that channel).
use an audio engine that can resample without interpolation.

That should get you in the right direction to fool some listeners (of course not the die hard SP fanatics)

peace