Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By JUKE 179r Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:55 pm
It's the Lockness Monster, Bigfoot and Tupac of the Roland MV-8000/MV-8800 users community. People know they are out there but no one has ever seen them... until now!

I'm taking about Roland's MV Service Manual!

I got my hands on it quick enough to get 2 pics before the service rep came back to the counter.

By mr_debauch Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:01 pm
ah that would have been great to get pics of all the pages!!!

roland just doesn't allow for those to get out...

I had the pad assembly PCB replaced on mine about 6 months ago.. I called roland canada and they sent me a new one for the 8000. it cost around 40 bucks. i installed it myself and everything works fine now. The MV is just one of those machines you gotta fix yourself... and it isn't bad at all except for the tedious amounts of screws.
By Mike Boogie Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:19 pm
You should have just ran outta the door with it.

Copied it

And returned it as a gesture of good will!
By Star One Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:16 pm
How did you get so close to it? Did they have it laying on the counter? Roland would have someone beheaded if they got caught stealing that :lol: I love that they still support it :nod:
By mr_debauch Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:03 pm
Star One wrote:How did you get so close to it? Did they have it laying on the counter? Roland would have someone beheaded if they got caught stealing that :lol: I love that they still support it :nod:

they don't still support it... but they will send you a part if they have one in stock still.... all the VGA expansions and outputs expander are gone... the **** outputs expander is a real find if you get one... I think koncept here on the forums has a legendary story about scoring a dirt cheap 8k that had one... and then scoring a cheap 8800 and putting it in that...

I like the 8000, it's just a pain to use sometimes so you really gotta be in the mood.
By Star One Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:11 pm
Having parts is what I mean by supporting. I think it's great they will do that.

I believe it about finding a steal, there was an MV8000 with the OP1 on ebay for 350 buy it now. I didn't have any money or I would of bought it.
By mr_debauch Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:15 pm
Star One wrote:Having parts is what I mean by supporting. I think it's great they will do that.

I believe it about finding a steal, there was an MV8000 with the OP1 on ebay for 350 buy it now. I didn't have any money or I would of bought it.

yeah it's one of those things where you gotta call and see if they have the part you might need still in stock... they aren't making new parts I don't believe. I did actually ask them for a service manual but they told me they have a policy that says they don't give anyone those except roland service centers.

yeah that would have been a steal... good deal. The odd thing is, if I had the op1, I don't think i would even use it.
By JUKE 179r Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:23 pm
Star One wrote:How did you get so close to it? Did they have it laying on the counter? Roland would have someone beheaded if they got caught stealing that :lol: I love that they still support it :nod:

I was at a music store out in Alabama and just out of shits & grins I asked a guy about the MV's OP1 expansion card. He said he didn't know much about the MV's since they rarely came it for service. He left for a minute to the back of the store and returned with the Service manuals for both the 8000 & 8800. He asked me was it an 8000 or 8800 OP1? It was obvious he really didn't know the MV well so I told him for the 8000. He then took the 8800 manual to the back and that's when I snapped the pictures of the 8000.

Yeah… The old knucklehead me from back in '84 - '88 would have ran out of there with both of the manuals… and a five finger discount on a DJ mixer. :lol:
By Star One Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:52 am
Understand completely :nod: One of those too much to loose to bother risking it type ofsituations maybe. I know for me it would be. Actually having something to loose. Getting that picture though, try and google for images of it haha yours is the only one I seen (none on google)

Thats big xD The whole thing
By konc3pt Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:10 am
mr_debauch wrote:I think koncept here on the forums has a legendary story about scoring a dirt cheap 8k that had one... and then scoring a cheap 8800 and putting it in that...

I like the 8000, it's just a pain to use sometimes so you really gotta be in the mood.

:nod: :smoker: Good memory 8)

When I called Roland few years ago..impression I got from their rep was that they may have a stock of them to be used only as exchange replacements
By wavemartian Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:39 am
Very timely, I can see the slider configuration! i just yesterday took apart my Mv 8800, the slider circuit board has Mv 8000 stamped on it. My sliders gave up the ghost quite early on, neglecting dust and dirt which happen to any audio mixer, on the Mv the track conductors wear very easily, and lead to dancing slider values.

A while back Roland Australia was asking stupid prices for the board, so I lived w/o the sliders functioning.

Anyway, this is what I did; I got a graphite pencil, the artist type is pure graphite. graphite is a conductor. I shaped the pencil to fit inside the slider compartment and imprinted a coated of graphite on the worn tracks.

I vacuumed residue, whacked it all back together, and it bloody worked!. It's not 100% perfect, I'd say 90%; considering none were functional, its a sizable improvement. Not sure how long it will last, but it makes sense that it should work.
By Star One Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:59 am
You can buy the individual faders for about 4 dollars I think :nod: instead of the entire board, just swap out the ones needing replacement