Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By nu-comer Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:25 pm
What's up everybody?

After a net search and quick run through MPC FORUMS topics I couldn't find a thread which could answer my question which is:

Are there any beatboxes, groove machines which are somowhat similar to Roland 808/606 or Linn Drum sound and programing and which are not that D*MN expensive?

I'm currently working on MPC 3K and Ensoniq EPS 16+ but looking to explore new ways that apeared in my head lately.

WHAT I NEED: that hard and harsh 16/32 hihats, boomy kicks and crisp "type of" snares which y'all can hear in 80's music, especially oldschool 80's rap records like RUN DMC or 90's/00's south hip hop beats.
I mean gear which has already sound in it that can be sonicaly shaped and programmed. MIDI connection isn't a must but would make things much easier.

Got any idea? I'd be very thankful, guys. Looking to start a new project which is a definite turnaround from the things I got used to.

Cheers. :wink:
By Doc00Cosel Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:58 pm
tomek666 wrote:I haven't tried these, but peeps like them, and might fit the bill.

Akai Professional Tom Cat Analog Drum Machine

Akai Professional Rhythm Wolf

Roland TR-8 Rhythm Performer

Korg Volca Beats Analog Drum Machine

The TR - 8 is ill. Got one a few months ago and you can get a nice punch with those drums. It's also good for putting punch behind drums by layering them. I like it.
By nu-comer Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:11 pm
Thanks for the feedback. You're being very helpful.

Made a further research and I suppose that Electribe ER might be the one for my needs. Volca beats is quite tempting too. Thumbs up for TR-8. Well...sh still a hard choice but I guess the only thing which matters here is the depth of my wallet.

Good point with the mixer, marrelarre! Would you recommend any particular model?

The extra question: any of you guys used or is still using Electribe Ea? I mean the synthesizer box. I read some comments and people say that the box is capable of making quite nice bass and whatnots. What are your opinions?

Cheers.
By tapedeck Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:08 pm
Made a further research and I suppose that Electribe ER might be the one for my needs.

the electribe er-1 does not sound 80's at all, unless you're taking kraftwerk. it's an electro machine but it will need some reverb to sound super 80s. and i always think of 80's sound as nasty sampled drums, not crisp clean synthesis.
By mr_debauch Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:32 pm
nu-comer wrote:
The extra question: any of you guys used or is still using Electribe Ea? I mean the synthesizer box. I read some comments and people say that the box is capable of making quite nice bass and whatnots. What are your opinions?

Cheers.

yeah.. that is the one i have... it's pretty good. it's a two oscillator synth with 2 parts.. you can replace one of the oscillators with an input instead if you want. it's pretty damn beefy. it has chorus and delay, as well as filter.

the thing isn't a moog, but it's so damn simple... you spend seconds making something that sounds nice without going through hours of experimental bleeps and what not... so it's too the point. basically for the price, it's worth it.
By distortedtekno Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:11 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
nu-comer wrote:

Cheers.

yeah.. that is the one i have... it's pretty good. it's a two oscillator synth with 2 parts.. you can replace one of the oscillators with an input instead if you want. it's pretty damn beefy. it has chorus and delay, as well as filter.

the thing isn't a moog, but it's so damn simple... you spend seconds making something that sounds nice without going through hours of experimental bleeps and what not... so it's too the point. basically for the price, it's worth it.

Yeah, I owned both the ER-1 and the EA-1 in '99. They were cool for being VAs at the time. I shouldn't have sold them. But I was becoming an analog snob and sold all my VAs a few years later.... Then I sold all my analogs when I needed the money. lol
By nu-comer Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:13 am
@tapedeck Well, I gave it a second thought and you're absolutely right, mate.

I've kinda missed the point. Probably is because I assumed a sonic distinction between natural sounding drums (i.e. live drums or sampled breaks from for instance 70's funk records) and everything else (like synth drums or drums extremely processed with effects and sounding plastic/strange/overdone), you see.

So what I really meant is the synth & clean sounding drums for, well yeah, electronic music (fast and metalic hihats, snappy snares and often kicks with that low boom) which I want to combine with samples and a little synthesis. I think I can't describe it more precise. :)

Thanks for the info about Korg Ea. I'll think about it. Maybe it'll be my second choice.

P.S. I sat with my mpc last night for about 40 minutes to figure out something and it's a low-level example of where I want to go. It also doesn't sound too good because it's just a quick draft but if you like to have a listen, here it is (you can listen without downloading here):

http://www70.zippyshare.com/v/lzBa2n16/file.html

Thanks again for your feedback, guys!