Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Jay Brown Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:04 pm
So my 950 has been working fine the past few months...and the other day I booted it up after some time away for the holidays and such. Now whenever I format a new disk it goes through the process of doing so but does not allow me to load/save or write anything on to the disk stating the error that the disk has not been formatted. Page 9 under Disk reads new floppy has 0% memory used up but on every other page under Vol it reads UNFM meaning unformatted...I am and have been using just a few Fujifilm MF2HD floppy disks which are 1.44 MB. Just ordered a floppy disk cleaner kit to utilize on the disk drive....will read in to that as well to make sure thats okay to do and doesnt ruin the drive in anyway.

i have Max Ram on this machine and am running 1.2 on my machine which leads me to my next point/question. I ran into a cf card reader that you can install in to the S950 and was curious if anyone has seen or had an experience with said machine. http://www.artmix.com/wordpress/?p=433
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stratos-Technol ... XQWzNSpFs4

I am currently using a MPC 2500 as well which has a cf reader so it would be a thing of beauty to be able to install this bad boy if I had to replace the floppy disk drive. I run all mac based hardware and would like to avoid HxC emulators.

Thanks ahead of time![/b][/b]
By DJOGWIZ Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:30 pm
I am having the exact same issue. If its the drive cool, can be replaced. If it is some hardware malfunction :-(

Doesn't make sense that it will go through the formatting processing entirely according to the manual but then not be able to read or write to the disk after?
:hmmm:
By fooddude Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:32 pm
Mine does this too, maybe 20% of the time. I'm guessing it's just the drive, hopefully. A floppy disk cleaner can only clean so much if you think about it (it would be a very small contact area). It may be really gummed up and dirty in there. What usually works is to let the machine warm up for 30mins-1hr. After warmed up, mine saves/loads with no prob (knock on wood).

My eject button and mechanism is a bit sticky and floppies get semi-stuck too; requiring a couple button presses to eject the disk.

Good idea to replace the drive (and also the backlight, instead of straining your eyes). I've been putting it off though. Mainly because I haven't researched nor found an easy, straightforward, diy instruction to replace the drive and also which exact drive to get.
By morning guts Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:56 am
Hey, does letting the 950 warm up still work for you? Did you ever clean the disk drive?
I'm having the same problem right now (I think) and I don't know what to do about it. Has your 950 changed at all since this started happening? Or you still let it warm up for 30 mins and it's fine.
When I load a disk with samples on it, I get the same UNFM message in the bottom right of all the Disk pages. Also, when I try to format a new disk, it says "OOPS! bad data from disk"

Any of this sound familiar?