Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Lampdog Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:08 pm
Sequencer

Capacity: 300,000 notes
Resolution: 960ppq
128 Sequences
128 Tracks per sequence
64 MIDI output channels (16 channels x 4 output ports)
Song mode: 128 songs, 250 steps per song
MIDI Sync: Master/Slave, MIDI Clock, MTC, MMC
SMPTE Sync: Master/Slave
Step edit, Piano Roll edit, Drum Grid edit

Above is mpc 4k sequencer specs.

I'd LOVE to know the sequencer resolution of the SP-16.
By tapedeck Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:22 pm
lamp you dreaming thinking this will come anywhere near a 4k :mrgreen:

to be fair - all yall wanting to compare this to an mpc, this is not going to come out to be anything like an mpc. my guess is that per-sample editing is going to be even more basic, sequencing might have some 'fun' features like stutter, note-repeat, etc, but its not gonna hardly have any 'editing' like we are used to.
they way i think it will play out - its going to be a 16-bank sample holder for djs with a basic sequencer and of course the master filter.

i mean you can already see it right there....16 samples available at once. my 2kxl from 98 allows 256 samples at once.

but i imagine the specs will be very basic.
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:55 pm
im thinking it will be more like the remix 16 or the roland SP series .. one of those on the fly simple samplers..... but because it's pioneer and the massive price that comes with it ... it's making me think there are a bunch of stuff it will be able to do that we don't know yet.

so programs with only 16 samples is fine, maybe not enough for microscopic chopping or shit like that... unless they are talking 16 note polyphony.. then that is way more than enough.
By inflict3 Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:18 pm
I see it has a scale button, so that means it must have different scales like maschine. if it has sample key detection it would make a great tool for sound design,. I'm so interested to see how this thing pans out!!! :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:
By inflict3 Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:20 pm
all that needs to be on point from there would be the sample editing which we have yet to see the screen for and the sequencer ppq.
By JVC Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:24 pm
I think many of us here are wishing that it’s going to be the next MPC, but I really don’t think that’s Pioneer is aiming for. It is not even fair to compare it to MPCs, because we really don’t know what it can do exactly.

Yes, it does resemble MPCs a lot, but I believe that it is going to be more like evolution Pioneer CDJ line, as more of remix tool for live DJs than music production tool for recording studio.

My guess is that it can be used as music player (via USB sticks and even via computer network), so it is totally aimed for live DJs.

... i mean you can already see it right there....16 samples available at once. my 2kxl from 98 allows 256 samples at once.

MPC2000 was 32 voice polyphony, not 256 polyphony.
MPC4000 was 64 voice polyphony max, but it depends on sample bit rates, I believe.
By tapedeck Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:26 pm
inflict3 wrote:all that needs to be on point from there would be the sample editing which we have yet to see the screen for and the sequencer ppq.

my guess is sample editing is going to be start point, end point, and loop point, volume, MAYBE volume envelopes, and maybe fx send. the usb drive to me suggests they will likely expect you to do your hardcore editing on your computer. i wouldn't be surprised if first run doesn't even have envelopes, but i will of course be happy to be proven wrong.

i'm just thinking, if the selling point is a master filter, they are really not shooting for this to be an in-depth sampling machine. more just a sync'd playback device.
By tapedeck Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:27 pm
JVC wrote:MPC2000 was 32 voice polyphony, not 256 polyphony.
MPC4000 was 64 voice polyphony max, but it depends on sample bit rates, I believe.

i'm not talking about polyphony, i'm talking about samples available to be used at the same time.

i can load up 4 programs of 64 samples in the xl and be able to access any of them without reloading anything. looks like the pioneer is locked to 16 available at once.

i totally agree with everything else you said - this will be very unlike an mpc.
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:46 pm
I got the impression the USB key slot is for the same thing as the pioneer CDJ slots.. to load material, and the ethernet port is just to plug into other pioneer gear like CDJs.. so tempo and those params are transmitted across all devices as well as if you have an external hard drive or USB key.. it's accessible across all devices too.
By Lampdog Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:18 pm
tapedeck wrote:lamp you dreaming thinking this will come anywhere near a 4k :mrgreen:

I already know it will never be a 4k and never had that high of hopes for it, I was just wanting to know the resolution. Even then, I have a feeling it's a phrase sampler, I don't like phrase samplers at all. It's what stopped me from jumping into FA-06 with it's sp-404 phrase sampling engine. I can't get down with that. I want more detail than that.
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:30 pm
i tend to not mind things like the 404 because to me it's a multi fx box first and the bonus is a little sampler thrown in that you can record whole songs into.
By Lampdog Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:47 pm
JVC wrote:MPC2000 was 32 voice polyphony, not 256 polyphony.

mpc4k, yep. 44, 48 or 96.

96 halves your max polyphony and effects busses (RME UFX does the same thing when using
higher rates).
By tapedeck Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:47 pm
Lampdog wrote:
tapedeck wrote:lamp you dreaming thinking this will come anywhere near a 4k :mrgreen:

I already know it will never be a 4k and never had that high of hopes for it, I was just wanting to know the resolution. Even then, I have a feeling it's a phrase sampler, I don't like phrase samplers at all. It's what stopped me from jumping into FA-06 with it's sp-404 phrase sampling engine. I can't get down with that. I want more detail than that.

just f'ing with you - i know you aint really dreaming.
this will probably fall somewhere between a phrase sampler and a real sampler. hell, the ppqn might even be through the roof - but that won't matter if the rest of the package aint there.