Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Chillin Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:34 am
What will the Akai answer be to this device?

Fanu wrote:All those videos are so short.
So far I've seen nothing that'd make me think there's a reason to buy that machine.

Here is a long video, but the explanation is in Italian.

Last edited by Chillin on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Chillin Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:37 am
AikiGhost wrote:It does seem from the spec that they really want you to work mostly with pre rendered loops and the occasional one shot or pitched synth hit/chop.

The lack of lfos and filter envelopes per pad is disappointing also there seem to be hardly any FX so far which is a little odd for the company that gave us the RMX500 and 1000.

It's only the first version, I am sure they will add other sound-effects and options later.
By Chillin Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:10 am
JVC wrote:I've just finished reading the manual, but I could not find anything unique about this product.
I thought SP-16 was going to be somewhere between CDJ and drum machine, but rather, this is really like MPC (since this is a step sequencer, maybe more like Elektron.)
Maybe I'm missing something (I'm hoping that that's the case.)
I think the current manual is incomplete, because there is no mention of MIDI implementation, for instance. If I have money to buy SP-16, I’d buy Elektron Rytm instead… (I know you would say it is only 8-polyphony, that’s not deal breaker for me.)
I hope that there is something else that Pioneer haven’t mentioned yet.

"because there is no mention of MIDI implementation". What do you mean?

5DIN MIDI IN and DIN MIDI OUT/THRU terminals
By Chillin Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:15 am
Lampdog wrote:I was really hoping it would be like an MPC Touch but standalone with much better capabilities that talked about here. It seems more focused on phrases and loops which is not what I want.

Are you sure? The products is called "Professional Sampler".

The tutorial say:

1) Features
This unit is a standalone hardware sampler and sequencer that allows you to intuitively compose music with a varied range of expression....

2) When transferring samples from a PC.

3)When importing samples from a USB device.
By v00d00ppl Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:52 pm
There is no undo button at the moment. That's a deal breaker. Give it a couple of months when the used market has a flood of these. But for the meantime i'm eyeing an eps 16 plus for 200 i saw somewhere.
By Chillin Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:18 pm
v00d00ppl wrote:There is no undo button at the moment. That's a deal breaker. Give it a couple of months when the used market has a flood of these. But for the meantime i'm eyeing an eps 16 plus for 200 i saw somewhere.

The no undo button is indeed a bit ridiculous.
By Lampdog Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:44 pm
Chillin wrote:
Lampdog wrote:I was really hoping it would be like an MPC Touch but standalone with much better capabilities that talked about here. It seems more focused on phrases and loops which is not what I want.

Are you sure? The products is called "Professional Sampler".

The tutorial say:

1) Features
This unit is a standalone hardware sampler and sequencer that allows you to intuitively compose music with a varied range of expression....

2) When transferring samples from a PC.

3)When importing samples from a USB device.

You assume I didn't know that already. Capabilities here are talked about but I wish it had more.
I read the specs a LONG time ago.
By mr_debauch Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:12 pm
we need a proper version of this machine with a moog filter instead.. a real sampler (with sampling) .. and a real sequencer with high resolution. And with the touch screen it would be nice to be able to draw in automation clips. It also can't be 2 grand.. because it would be redundant.
By JVC Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:41 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DJ-TSP-16-Professional-Sampler/product-reviews/B01E3LCH9I/

This is what I commented before,
Yes, it does resemble MPCs a lot, but I believe that it is going to be more like evolution Pioneer CDJ line, as more of remix tool for live DJs than music production tool for recording studio.

My guess is that it can be used as music player (via USB sticks and even via computer network), so it is totally aimed for live DJs.

and this is what I read:
... First, there's basic limitations that simply shouldn't exist in a sampler even half this price. It wouldn't load 48Khz files. It wouldn't load samples longer than 32 seconds. I had to organize the USB drive to the device's standards, rather than it simply allowing me to browse the file structure.

So this is really just a sequencer with sampler? It cannot be used as CDJ (without CD player), like I presumed?
The filter aside, I think Electribe Sampler is far more powerful than SP-16!
By Lampdog Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 pm
What I've read on Korg Electribe sampler yeah it seems more powerful AND a large amount cheaper .
By JVC Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:45 pm
Lampdog wrote:What I've read on Korg Electribe sampler yeah it seems more powerful AND a large amount cheaper .

... and, if you want analog filter (presumably LP filter), MOOG MF-101 Lowpass Filter is about 300 bucks, and Korg Electribe sampler is about 400 bucks.
It is just very hard to justify buying SP-16... It is even more expensive than Octatrack (which is super powerful, looks gorgeous, and I want!)