Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By mr_debauch Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Pretty sure I was implying it sits somewhere between the sp. Series like a 606 and a mv. Just saying it feels like a Roland product, But take my words however you want...

I can't picture that being the case at all ... The MV sits somewhere between a VS series recorder and a keyboard workstation with pads instead of keys... except they added a bunch of other features after the fact to make it more playable and easier to build songs.

The Sp series is almost limitless sample times... loads of fx.. very easy for on the fly stuff (the MV is not that type of machine at all)

Don't get me wrong.. the MV is very decent... but if I were to say the first thing that comes to mind when ever I picture turning mine on... that word is Sluggish... or SLOW!
By Cockdiesel Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 pm
I’ll agree in that context. I was saying if they kept on developing it, i used a sp for a long time and the simplicity and workflow seem to be on par none of the technicals really. If I were to elaborate it would be if the sp was more of a dedicated drum machine, and upgraded in many ways. I encourage anyone to check one out, it’s differnt but also has a very familiar feel.
By Ill-Green Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:51 pm
The SP16 was my first choice for a new sampler, but for the price, I ended up with the Live and Digitakt.

Still intrigued though. The part that is like Roland SP is the trigger pads, they allow you to loop from the pad itself. That alone would make me cop one. :D
By Cockdiesel Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:21 pm
Dude, Ill everything is so streamlined with the sp. Keep an eye out as they are becoming mad cheap. I got one for cheaper than a digitakt, and wanted to just flip it for money. It’s a keeper, like big time.

Sound quality is on par with the live, but you can just dial in the sweet spots so easily. It’s hard to describe, but the way you can overdrive and manipulate the sound puts it in a league of its own. The sound quality and ease of use on this thing are insane.

Sequencer has elements of the typical mpc workflow and elektron step sequencer. However, it’s more of a midway point and doesn’t get into too much depth into either form.

Its a basic machine, but not at all in a bad way.
By Cockdiesel Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:16 pm
Yes, but no filter on that as well as maybe different pads. The filter is key, you can really dial in the sound on the thing and overdrive it sounds amazing .

The elektron analog heat is more in depth but IMHO the sp-16 has a better sound. You could prolly get close with the clean or saturation circuits on the heat but you'd really have work on dialing it in. Obviously there's no envelope follower or different filters to choose from but I'm really digging this thing.
By Ill-Green Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:55 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Dude, Ill everything is so streamlined with the sp. Keep an eye out as they are becoming mad cheap. I got one for cheaper than a digitakt, and wanted to just flip it for money. It’s a keeper, like big time.

Sound quality is on par with the live, but you can just dial in the sweet spots so easily. It’s hard to describe, but the way you can overdrive and manipulate the sound puts it in a league of its own. The sound quality and ease of use on this thing are insane.

Sequencer has elements of the typical mpc workflow and elektron step sequencer. However, it’s more of a midway point and doesn’t get into too much depth into either form.

Its a basic machine, but not at all in a bad way.

Can it resample multiple pads plus the external sources?

I'm thinking about selling both the Digitakt and the Live. Digitakt looks like the next update will be in 2018 and the Live just feels redundant from what I already have and used. Digitakt has a 33 second sample limit per sound and it doesn't bother me like I thought, so I don't think the SP16's 32 second will affect me either.
By Cockdiesel Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:44 pm
Naw I’ll you can’t resample and use the inputs at the same time. Not sure if that is a deal breaker.

I’m still getting used to a lot, the time stretch and other features are kind of confusing to me but I have not looked at the manual yet.

It was a no brainer for me to drop the Digitakt, but the pioneer is lacking some areas. If you can track with the outputs and maybe have something with more sampling options as well you should be good. I haven’t had much time with it so it’s more than likely something I need to learn on the machine. I have had done almost no menu diving and just using the samples the guy had on them to learn the machine. I’m impressed with how it can transform already prepared samples, and have edited little besides the front panel buttons. Dude has a synth pop set in there and I’m chopping his breaks up making crazy shit.
By Cockdiesel Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 am
Correction. You can resample the with the inputs and playing pads at the same time with using a thru track. You can also use an effect and also a send effect. Really cool actually. Im sure this thing is deeper than I’m thinking, it’s just differnt than a live. Way more performance based, but the downside is the comprehensiveness to the sampling. Best word to describe it is streamlined. Nothing like keygroups or layered sampling besides resampling but it’s definitly not what this machine is geared towards. There’s no way for me to really classify this thing besides it’s format.

16 tracks, samples, thru or midi. Each audio track can be looped, one shot, sliced, or chromatic. You can use “plocks”, but not to the degree of elektron with conditional trigs and such. Chromatic is more in-depth than 16 levels on a mpc and sounds really well done, but that’s the limit for sampling really. All the normal editing is there with basic start and end, loop points. 2 differnt time stretch modes, and they work great but seem to be confusing for me right now. Projects can morph real quick if you’re not careful, which isn’t always a bad thing.

The pattern and scene set up is really weird as well as simple things like clearing a track of any trigs. I Guess it will take some getting used to. For what it’s worth it’s just a sample player/ mangler, as well as a clip launcher. The sequencer doesn’t dominate the machine like a mpc or elektron, but it’s got a nice groove and offers features of both styles. It’s limited but in a good way. Everything it does it does well and all the parameters are laid out for you within the few menus.

I still stand by my statement about an upgraded sp606. A modern and high end sp 606. Less effects but more quality, and sound wise in a league of its own.
By Ill-Green Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:33 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Naw I’ll you can’t resample and use the inputs at the same time. Not sure if that is a deal breaker.

I’m still getting used to a lot, the time stretch and other features are kind of confusing to me but I have not looked at the manual yet.

It was a no brainer for me to drop the Digitakt, but the pioneer is lacking some areas. If you can track with the outputs and maybe have something with more sampling options as well you should be good. I haven’t had much time with it so it’s more than likely something I need to learn on the machine. I have had done almost no menu diving and just using the samples the guy had on them to learn the machine. I’m impressed with how it can transform already prepared samples, and have edited little besides the front panel buttons. Dude has a synth pop set in there and I’m chopping his breaks up making crazy shit.

Not at all, just as long I can play a pad and something playing from the inputs is enough for me, but if it was able to resample both, that would be a bonus. As long I can resample my pad performance, I'm good :smoker:

Yeah, I notice the prices went down. That is great news for me. Though if I can find someone to trade a mint Live for a mint SP16, that would be dope too.

I dissed it early in the year when compared to the Live, but you can't compare Pioneer to Akai. Plus, Pioneer about to drop the update next month (so they hope). Gives me time to decide and make preperations.

Truthfully, I'm sick of Digitakt's plastic clickity-clack button. Shit gets stuck too if you try to double stutter samples. And only 8 slots to fill with samples out of the 16 buttons, the other 8 is from external MIDI devices and I don't do MIDI. I dig Elektron but I think they need to re-engineer their hardwares.
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:25 am
After a few weeks I’m still digging this machine. The pad and ui structure of this machine is really forward thinking with how quickly you can switch between the differnt modes.

An example is with some setting up you can put a sample on a pad that’s a drum break and loops seemly, that same sample could be perfectly chopped up on 16 pads, and also tuned chromatically. Theses are all features of a mpc which is true, but it’s literally a press of a button. No menu diving in any form. Performance wise I could see this as a finger drummer’s drum. You could easily switch modes, turn knobs with the filters etc, use the ribbon strip, and finger drum all in rhythm with the sequencer going.

Impressive machine. If I had to pick between the live and toraiz, the live would win, but only because toraiz is lacking a lot of what the live does. However if you enjoy tracking out drum machines this one would win. It’s really set up to be tracked out. Things come together very nice on this machine. The options are limited but work very well. Only gripe is the sampling section seems pretty bare bones compared to mpc sampling, so depending on your work flow you may need a computer program or other sampler to pair it with.

Or just just buy some sample packs here and go to town. It will work like a mpc, but to make the most of the machines abilities you would want to resample some stuff and make sample chains.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Only gripe is the sampling section seems pretty bare bones compared to mpc sampling

Because it's a "phrase" sampler.
Designed for loops, not note by note like MPC's.

Made for dj's, not beat makers.