Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By WASKMUSIC Wed May 11, 2016 7:27 am
Hey guys,

my S900 wont boot up anymore. Havent used it for a long time, since i also have an S950 which i use more often. The unit powers up, the display is on with black blocks in the top row, the diskdrive-led shows up shortly when i shut down the unit. Besides that, thers no function or other information on the display.

Any ideas? Something i should look for/after?

Thanks ;)

WASK
By mr_debauch Wed May 11, 2016 4:28 pm
sounds funny... maybe some connectors are loose inside.. obviously your tried messing with the contrast knob.. could just be some of the cables are not seated properly
By WASKMUSIC Thu May 12, 2016 6:54 am
yeah thats what i suggest. some loose ribbons or something else. sure i messed with the contrast knob, no result. yesterday i took the floppy drive off power and data cable, same result, black blocks in the top row of the display. i took a look on the psu and just from looking, the capacitors look all fine.

i will report back if somethings changed ;)

maybe there are some other ideas around?

WASK
By mr_debauch Fri May 13, 2016 5:25 pm
i have seen a few dead s900s before... in the past they were so cheap that they weren't worth fixing. Why even open it up when you could get another one for 50-80 bucks.
By mr_debauch Sat May 14, 2016 5:59 pm
so even with the display... when you push PB do you hear the tone program that comes up by default? maybe it is just the display that is ****?
By WASKMUSIC Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 pm
hello guys,

the problem remains. i disassembled the PSU board and changed ALL capacitors on it to new ones. the problem is the same. i already resoldered the fuseholders (have read that in another forum). no luck this time. any ideas besides the capacitors or cold solder joints around the fuses?
By mr_debauch Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:56 am
so does it seem like maybe the power supply is messed up? or is it a critical component that simply isn't reacting to getting power?
By peterpiper Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:29 am
what about the MIDI IN? Does it really receive MIDI?
Also, no blinking LEDs when pressing the menu buttons?
If you need a 900 to compare/measure the components PM me. AFAIK I don't live that far away. (I would like to play around with the SP in return :) )

peace

peace
By dshook Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:31 am
Check and make sure the front panel is aligned properly - if it's missing those little spacer washers on top it can be holding a button down and messing up the bootup. Try booting with the front faceplate removed.