Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By hok-2 Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:07 am
My S3000 has the option of sampling at 20 khz or 10khz and I've been experimenting with this.
What bit rate dos 10khz make it?
7 bit?
Is this the same as what a Mpc3000 dos?
I'v sampled a break at 10khz and compared it to the original, it tends to make it less crisp and duller, sometimes in a good way, somtimes not.

I'm just looking for any views or information on the matter really.
Trying to convince myself I don't need a 12 bit sampler.
By vout Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:18 am
Sample bandwidth and bit depth are two different things - bandwidth is the frequency range and bit depth is the dynamic range. I don't have an S3000 but it is 16-bit, so I think it always samples at 16-bit, whatever sample frequency is used. Also note that the actual sampling frequency is much higher than the audio bandwidth, so for 20khz bandwidth it is probably 44.1kHz sampling frequency.
By SEMS Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:39 am
Yeah the 10kHz basically cuts the sample rate in half, to about 22kHz. It usually leaves some artefacts at the high end of the spectrum, like a bit crusher plugin would. You're right, it's best used for things that don't need high end like kick drums or even better basses. You can then use the filter to get rid of the ringing since you don't really need the high end anyway.

Can be used for effect, or to save space in RAM & disks. If you listen to old SP1200 stuff like old Pete Rock beats you can hear a little ringing in a lot of the samples, especially basses. That's from sampling at 22kHz (10kHz on the 3000).
By LoopTheCrook Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:00 pm
hok-2 wrote:Is this the same as what a Mpc3000 dos?

I'm just looking for any views or information on the matter really.
Trying to convince myself I don't need a 12 bit sampler.

nop... mpc 3k is 44.1 fixed

you need 12 bit... 12 bit drums are THE sh*t :P
By Fanu Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm
10K is great when you pitch the sample up by, say, 7 to 12 semitones, on the source, then sample in at 10K, then pitch it down by however much it was pitched up by on the source....instant lo-fi hip hop feel.
By hok-2 Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:13 pm
Thanks everyone for clearing up my misconceptions.
I usualy transfer sounds via my usb floppy drive emulator to my mpc2000 but I've got into sampling those sounds into the S3000 then back into the Mpc.
The change is quite subtle on individual sounds, but when I hear them all together there's a marked improvement.
I get a bit punch in the snaires and kicks
But maybe that's just becouse they're louder and sampled 'hot' as they call it :lol:
By LoopTheCrook Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:48 pm
differences between 16bit samplers are not as great as between 12bit ones... with few exceptions :)