Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By seriousgroove Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:35 pm
Does anyone have some more info on this sampler? Trying to score one of these. It seems to be rare. I came accross a shootout and loved it. I found it to sound different from the EPS 16, though...

Cheers...
By tapedeck Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:04 pm
it is a rackmount version of the sample from an eps.

maybe it sounded slightly different because it is based on the eps and not the eps 16 (this is a guess).

the og eps samplers do sound amazing at 13-bits.
By v00d00ppl Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:27 pm
I have the keyboard version and I use it all the time. One thing I would like to share is if you start from 20.khz-30.00khz sampling frequency there are a lot of sweet spots to put your loops through.

1. Record the loop under various sample rates and frequencies.
2. DO NOT overdrive the AMP if you are gonna open the cutoff frequency to 20.0khz because it will get noisy when you mix with it other sounds. Use the input gain on your soundcard instead if you want to drive or warm things up. If it's over driven the hats and cymbals just have too many noisy artifacts.
3. Play it back into ableton and use the auto slice feature.
4. Somewhere in the 20.8-25khz range with the cutoff frequency below 14khz you can get some SP1200 style sounds.
5. After you got your drum loop ready whynot add some light reverb? I use Native Instruments RC24/48 with light levels into the mix. You can get better reverb snares than mobb deep with this plugin.
6. Lastly if your drums do not punch enough use a light dash of dynamics processing. I use the solid state series dynamics for this. So if you snatch one of these machines, gainstage after sampling, use light reverb, and dynamics then you have an amazing lo-fi sampler that can also produce CD like qualities.

I need to get the rack version as a backup I love this sampler.
By French_Dope Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 pm
Thanks for this tips.

For the 4 point, when you search sp1200 sound, do you pitch down a sample sampled in 45 t pitched up or it's work also for a sample without pitch down ?

If you've got other tips for Ensoniq eps-m, I take it
By v00d00ppl Fri May 12, 2017 6:19 pm
French_Dope wrote:Thanks for this tips.

For the 4 point, when you search sp1200 sound, do you pitch down a sample sampled in 45 t pitched up or it's work also for a sample without pitch down ?

I also have an SP1200 and I don't pitch down really because I truncate the sample from ableton/maschine and record into the sampler. That one shot will always be 1 second or less. I play that one shot back into my DAW so I can use it for maschine or push.

The more I record on the EPS i am understanding how the VCA works when recording samples as a monitor in and also as a sample playback.

1. If you setup a sample instrument that is 27.2 and 6.25 max frequency it automatically has a low end to the sound. You have yet to sample and arm the instrument you are recording. In monitor mode there is light level bit crushing going on and depending on how you add volume to the VCA the sample will have it's own character because of the VCA. Imagine monitoring an instrument with 14.5 x 6.25 without recording it as a sample. You can get interesting results the more you practice this. You can record your results into your DAW and slice the loop in your beat making program.

2. Once you record the sample and commit to the volume level the output of the loop has also been crushed to the full value. Play the root key and you have the loop good to go. If it sounds good but too low on output and and you have the device volume at max to and input gain on your soundcard or mixer. If you are using a soundcard keep your sessions in 96khz to get the best quality of your recordings. I prefer to do 96khz because when you have a session in 96khz with your daw or with maschine the effects and VSTs sound more detailed.

3. Since you have a pitch wheel on the EPS or your midi controller and you recorded a loop. Start a session in your daw where you are playing the loop with a pitch down by hand. You get a resistance from the pitch you can record that and arm another track/clip where you record the next level of the pitched down sample.
By tapedeck Fri May 12, 2017 8:03 pm
French_Dope wrote:Thanks for this tips.

yes - it sounds good to record the sample faster than normal and then pitch it down in the eps.
By Sven Rock Thu May 18, 2017 4:55 pm
They're quite tasty. They're very gentle with interpolation I've found, so samples sound very crisp when downtuned. You can also set where the antialiasing filter will start rolling off when you sample things into it so if you set it high and sample at low frequencies you get that sweet alias ringing.