Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By seriousgroove Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:22 pm
Hello,
I have a Akai Z4 and I would like to add a internal Harddisk. While the connector that goes into the harddisk is a standard one there is a connector on the other side of the cable that goes on to the motherboard that I'm not familiar with.

I do not find any information on the net or place where I can order one. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
By TheUnfuckwithable Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 pm
Ah, I guess you are talking about the connector for the HDD power supply. I thought you were talking about the P-ATA/IDE cable the whole time.

I have these connectors, they seem to be the same as found in the MPC4000. I can measure one for you so you can check online for a compatible one to solder on to your standard power cable.
By TheUnfuckwithable Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:06 pm
I´ve taken some pictures of the connector in question. Had to use my phone, so they are not the sharpest. All measurements are in millimeters.

If you are unable to find this connector I think you could solder or crimp your wires directly onto the pins on the motherboard (don´t forget heat shrink tube!).

By seriousgroove Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:43 pm
You're a star and you made my day! Thank you so much for taking your time to provide such detailed information. Very much appreciated! I'll go to a local electronics store this week with these pictures. Wishing you a great day! I'll let you know what I've found. Blessings!
Carl
:-D
By TheUnfuckwithable Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:56 pm
You are welcome, Carl!

EDIT: I am afraid the exact dimensions are hard to guess in the pictures.

This drawing is from a similar connector. I have noted the dimensions of the actual MPC4000 connector down.

Keep in mind that the actual shape is a bit different (as you can see in the pictures). But the dimensions are accurate!
By seriousgroove Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:57 pm
I visited a local electronics store and they couldnt help me out. They suggested to solder one myself. I also contacted Akai directly and they have also nothing in stock left either.
It looks like I need to get acquainted with the craft oft soldering :hmmm:

Thank you once more for all your assistance!!!

I'll report back once I got a solution.

Carl
By TheUnfuckwithable Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:02 pm
seriousgroove wrote:I visited a local electronics store and they couldnt help me out.

I was afraid of that.

Where are you located? I am asking because I might be able to build a cable for you.