Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Wormhelmet Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 pm
When Maschine first came out I got real excited thinking it was a standalone. Later on I realized it was never gonna happen. They need to sell Komplete and sftware bundles. Doesn't make sense for them to do a standalone. Even if it crossed their minds, I think they will watch Akai's success or failure on a standalone and see how people are most using them. They won't even release a decent version for iPad and I think that is a good indication of their stance on porting Maschine to anything else for other than a sketchpad for music ideas.
By Living Bate Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:49 pm
Wormhelmet wrote: I think they will watch Akai's success or failure on a standalone and see how people are most using them

I think they will do this and realise that most people are actually becoming less focussed on standalone and more focussed on overall capabilities.

(As this forum is already starting to suggest after only a couple of days from its announcement)
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:23 pm
they make traktor... they are already involved in the live play aspect of music (the dj market) ... electronic musicians from what i have seen prefer traktor over serato.

they make the quick beat making suite (maschine) ... and they make tools to help with production (VSTi) and controllers....... maybe they wont see the point in making a product that takes the user away from their other products.
By MeSoHordey Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 pm
Hard to see how they'll improve maschine. It's really really good, especially when you take into account the software ecosystem they've built.

Akai is struggling to stay relevant. They'll always have a niche, loyal fan base but the world has largely moved on.
By coolderb Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:10 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:When Maschine first came out I got real excited thinking it was a standalone. Later on I realized it was never gonna happen. They need to sell Komplete and sftware bundles. Doesn't make sense for them to do a standalone. Even if it crossed their minds, I think they will watch Akai's success or failure on a standalone and see how people are most using them. They won't even release a decent version for iPad and I think that is a good indication of their stance on porting Maschine to anything else for other than a sketchpad for music ideas.

All great points. However N.I. did gradually loosen their stance on the iMaschine Ipad/Iphone apps. (largely due to Akai/Retronym's iMPC app. garnering attention). iMaschine has gradually gained needed features and is now to the point where it is useful. Their project export feature takes it too another level and the bundling of all the iMaschine expansions into a $1 package was a good move.

I would be shocked if N.I. came out with a stand-alone Maschine. I would not be surprised to see a revamped Studio with a touchscreen to compete with the X and a smaller touchscreen version to compete with the Live.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:53 pm
MeSoHordey wrote:Akai is struggling to stay relevant. They'll always have a niche, loyal fan base but the world has largely moved on.

I feel this same way.

IF, the X turns out to be that solid standalone I've been waiting a decade for then I'll be getting it
and continue giving my 4k a rest (cause it's already been resting for a while now). :oops:
By richie Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:57 pm
Akai cannot hold a candle to the support Native Instruments provides to its users.
By Kd Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 pm
I think we are all on the same page here with obvious questions that ring out from our long standing love affair with a stand alone unit. With that said, NI (Machine, or what have you) may not have to combat anything? NI is the bomb and is the "creme" for a reason and In the box (ITB) is what they do. Their long standing precedence is unquestionable, as they have excelled at everything they have produced with impeccable precision and support. While many of us (including myself) have an affinity for standalone units, this desire may only represent but a small percentage of the total user base represented by those of us who prefer the "old ways" of the force? To Millennials, ITB is the norm and the "advantages" of stand alone units maybe either, not realized or perhaps is seen as a mythic rant by those of us 30+ and older user group who are holding on to our roots like buying a sports car to combat a midlife crisis (jokes). I'm not sure and hope this is not the case? IMO this MPC X shows the most promise of any standalone unit since the 4K? I'm no authority, but I doubt Akai can ever compete with the tech support and product line of NI, as no one seems to even come close. However, the new found diverted interest from Akai's recent bipolar multidirectional path of "hit it and quit it" montra from something other than controllers and phone apps and now back to a standalone unit, is encouraging. Still, will the MPC X just be another disorderly that holds Akai's interest long enough to get our attention just before they switch gears and decide to start making another irrelevant product or discontinue support (carrot dangling)? Who really knows, but one thing is clear, the MPC X has my attention (and yours, right?), and its presence will only amplify our long standing distress calls for a relevant, future forward interface in a StandAlone unit! Ultimately though, you gotta admit, that the benefit in all this is the end user! Peace and much love to this family and happy new year!
By Wormhelmet Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:39 pm
Akai only has to make one stable version of exactly what they are promising now and if they abandon support after that, it is less drastic than abandoning software/controller support. Roland doesn't support the MV series anymore and I still bought one and use it with much pleasure. Akai doesn't support their older standalones any longer but people still snapping those up too. Much much less critical on continued support if the product is a stable standalone.

Of course I would hope a company stands by their product for years, but if its good and does not have glaring issues, people will use it and keep buying up used as well.
By jahsoul Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:49 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:Akai only has to make one stable version of exactly what they are promising now and if they abandon support after that, it is less drastic than abandoning software/controller support. Roland doesn't support the MV series anymore and I still bought one and use it with much pleasure. Akai doesn't support their older standalones any longer but people still snapping those up too. Much much less critical on continued support if the product is a stable standalone.

Of course I would hope a company stands by their product for years, but if its good and does not have glaring issues, people will use it and keep buying up used as well.

Honestly the more I read about the MPC X, the more I believe this is what the updated MV8800 was supposed to be. Just imagine if they really put effort into it now. The sequencer, IMO, was perfect and gave the best of both worlds. Imagine if they gave the option to download virtual SRX cards, update the VA synth, used super natural sounds, and didn't screw us with I/O options. :shock:

I'm still kicking myself for selling my MV. I'm debating selling my S3200XL to fund another.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:31 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:Akai doesn't support their older standalones any longer but people still snapping those up too. Much much less critical on continued support if the product is a stable standalone.

I'm pretty sure having JJOS has helped the ongoing 1000/2500 popularity (including fixing a couple of major bugs in the final Akai OS). Third party hardware support (e.g. MPC Stuff etc) also helps immensely.