Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ill-Green Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:08 pm
starmanwarz wrote:
jpeg wrote:would like some insigt on sample flipping on the digikat; given that that there are no mute groups and only 8 pads that u can assign samples to, how do u have samples on multiple pads? cos many of the pads will be used for drums and bass.

for instance if buttons 1 to 5 are used for kick, snare, hat,shaker and bass.

If I have a sample that is chopped into 4 parts that I wanna play with and flip; how can I go about this? as the pads 8 to 16 can only be used for midi data.

also can you layer samples?

First of all, it's called Digitakt.

As far as chopping, you can either parameter lock the whole sample which is assigned to 1 track, playing a different part every time, or you can assign multiple chops to tracks (up to 7), flip them the way you like and then resample them and assign them on the 8th track. Then you have another 7 tracks to work with. Resample some more and you get more tracks.

Layering can only be done via resampling too.

+1

Without the sequencer recording you can play up to 8 voices at once, resample it for a method of layering.

Just remember its not an MPC or its workflow, its more like sequencing audio tracks on the MV and edits like an ASR.
By Ill-Green Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:15 am
Haha yeah, soon as I saw it at NAMM, it gave me crazy good vibes, I knew it was gonna have potential. Just by the way Cenk said its a sampler, I already thought "this gonna be an Octatrack inside an SP404!"
By DimensionsTomorrow Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:47 am
Ill-Green wrote:Haha yeah, soon as I saw it at NAMM, it gave me crazy good vibes, I knew it was gonna have potential. Just by the way Cenk said its a sampler, I already thought "this gonna be an Octatrack inside an SP404!"

Octrack inside an SP404 with the soul of the ASR10.

Did you watch the long Cuckoo video? I was definitely not taking advantage of the unquantized, live record mode until I watched that video. It's dope to be able to dip in and make little micro adjustments. Perfect for getting really nice swing. That's something a lot of XoX-style drum machine/samplers like the Korg Electribe series always sucked at. I'm so glad Elektron got that right.

I wish they would add mute/choke groups. I'm using the single track work around, but it would be nice to be able to "play" samples in live and have them choke each other. Definitely not the end of the world though.
By jpeg Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 pm
DimensionsTomorrow wrote:
It's dope to be able to dip in and make little micro adjustments. Perfect for getting really nice swing. That's something a lot of XoX-style drum machine/samplers like the Korg Electribe series always sucked at. I'm so glad Elektron got that right.

can not this be done on mpc live or any mpc by just turning off quantise and recording in live.

DimensionsTomorrow wrote:
I wish they would add mute/choke groups. I'm using the single track work around, but it would be nice to be able to "play" samples in live and have them choke each other. Definitely not the end of the world though.

can you explain what the single track work around is?
By DimensionsTomorrow Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 pm
Sure. Unquantized can be done on the MPC. I'm just glad it can be done on the Digitakt as well. On the old Electribes you were tied to the grid.

The single track work around for mutes is that any samples on the same audio channel cut each other off. Samples on different audio tracks don't cut each other off. The downside is that you have to program the samples in rather than play them in.
By DimensionsTomorrow Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:06 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Update 1.03 is out. It sez that they fixed the midi issues and a few other things. They added to the factory content as well. Can't wait to get home, lol.

Perfect timing. I got the sample freeze bug last night for the first time and it bricked my machine for like 2 minutes. It wouldn't even turn on. Luckily, the unit eventually fixed itself and that issue is listed as fixed in the bug notes. :mrgreen:
By Cockdiesel Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:58 am
- dimensions
Are you recording the samples into the digi or loading them up? I ask because you seem to be able to get a cleaner sound than I can. Perhaps it's what you're using to record as well.
I've been either using the stock sounds or recording in stuff from a 555 than some of it is recorded the best and it shows.
By DimensionsTomorrow Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:- dimensions
Are you recording the samples into the digi or loading them up? I ask because you seem to be able to get a cleaner sound than I can. Perhaps it's what you're using to record as well.
I've been either using the stock sounds or recording in stuff from a 555 than some of it is recorded the best and it shows.

I do a mix of both. I dumped a ton of drums and breaks into the Digi through the transfer app.

For other stuff, like those vocals and all the stuff I chopped on the micro flip beat I sampled it into the Digi via my iPhone. For those Stones Throw beat battles they upload a big WAV file to a file sharing site. I upload that to iTunes and then go through the track using a cheap iPhone app called DjayPro. It has a looper function by bars, BPM detect, pitch, and time stretch. I grab a bunch of snippets and basically just sample those using 1/4" cables direct from the phone into the Digi and watch my levels. I try not to get my signal too hot because the Digitakt normalizes and brings the signal back up.
By Ill-Green Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:36 am
I use Monoprice gold cables and the sound is as rich as the Live. The meter confused me at first because its black over yellow and when the signal is loud, it looks like its quiet. The meter rises from left to right, make sure its bouncing to the far right for loud samples.
By Cockdiesel Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:32 am
Transfer app is annoying. Loaded a bunch of stuff in tonight. Hopefully will get some time to play with some stuff this weekendI want to see what I can get all midi mapped to the digi.

The keys add a whole new level with the machine. I want to try a controller I have with a bunch of knobs, sliders, etc to map out to the digi. Need to figure out a way for the arpeggiator on the keys to get picked up by the digi too.

You can always chop up the break and replay the notes how you feel and resample them. I do a lot of drums off the grid on all the other machines I have had.
Figure after you resample the drums you could then have 7 more tracks to layer over plus midi.

You could get real nuts with old school flavor with programming a Roland sp with the midi tracks. With just a record player, digi and sp404/555 you could have a powerful little hip hop setup.

Heck a lot could be done with a digi, a nice midi keyboard, and a couple desktop synths.

Once overbridge comes out It will really shine. Ijust as the heat was made to be an analog filter for a daw the digi adds a hardware sampler.

Crazy year for music tech.
By DimensionsTomorrow Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:30 am
So I updated to the new OS and it's buggier than the old ones for me. It froze a bunch of times during saving. Until they get it fixed make sure you are saving often to avoid losing work.

Anyway, I made a little mellow, abstract test track today as a test for recording my guitar and bass into it. I think I have the basic workflow for sampling guitar/bass down now, so I want to start incorporating instruments into my tracks more. I'm still struggling with getting a proper mix though. I'm getting some monitors soon, so that should help, mixing on headphones sucks.

https://soundcloud.com/dimensionstomorrow/geometry

Edit: Apparently quick save (Function + Save) is causing the freezes. For now, save your work by going into the actual menu and hitting save. That's apparently the workaround that Simon from Elektron says to use until 1.04.
By Ill-Green Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:12 pm
DimensionsTomorrow wrote:So I updated to the new OS and it's buggier than the old ones for me. It froze a bunch of times during saving. Until they get it fixed make sure you are saving often to avoid losing work.

Anyway, I made a little mellow, abstract test track today as a test for recording my guitar and bass into it. I think I have the basic workflow for sampling guitar/bass down now, so I want to start incorporating instruments into my tracks more. I'm still struggling with getting a proper mix though. I'm getting some monitors soon, so that should help, mixing on headphones sucks.

https://soundcloud.com/dimensionstomorrow/geometry

Edit: Apparently quick save (Function + Save) is causing the freezes. For now, save your work by going into the actual menu and hitting save. That's apparently the workaround that Simon from Elektron says to use until 1.04.

Yeah, the voices were wrestling with me to not upgrade to 1.03, so I stood on 1.02. Reading the manual, looks like we'll get a stable Digitakt by 1.10 when its all ironed out.

Its stable on my end, even during 1.00. Only thing I encountered was when I put a sample into the Chromatic keys, trig 9 would sound off infinitely like "bweeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrree".

As I learn the machine, I see its all about the sequencer and how you can manipulate each step. I'm still kinda clumsy on it, but now I got the idea.