Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By v00d00ppl Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:52 pm
I also sense that some of the digital waveforms on the monomachine and machinedrum will be part of the digital synthesis engines. This isn't finalized but Cenk was hinting at elektron digital technologies.
By Ill-Green Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:16 am
mattman121775 wrote:@ 1:55 he eludes that it may be a 16 step sequencer when talking about the randomization of quantize.
Hopefully it will have resolution as good as the Octatrack though.

Yeah these things will most likely have 16 step. I don't know why thats the new thing for companies to do with small machines nowadays, they just wanna toss in a 16 step sequencer. To me thats just one pattern or a 4 bar sequence on the MPC. I don't know I guess I'm old school where miniature gadgets had the most features.

There was an interview at gearslutz and I don't think I'm getting this right now. I need to see the workflow and what the machine is capable of to really decide. It read that all of the buttons are plastic, even the pads. Yes the pads too. Samples are only one shots so it appears to be 16 step for sure. 8 track stereo. Sample time is slim to 3 min approx. but you can have 2GB of sample storage. It resamples.

Its a little of Octatrack and a little of Analog RYTM. It does a lot of things but $650 is bit too high for what it is when SP404s and ES2s still on market, but like I said, I need to see it in action.

Its up for preorder at **** sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Digitakt
By Ill-Green Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 pm
Here's that interview courtesy of Elektonauts:

Q: What is this 'Digital engine'?

A: The digital engine refers our high quality sample playback engine. We have taken great care in our implementation to ensure that samples are played back and transposed in a musical and great sounding way.

Q: Are those pads or buttons?

A: They are high grade plastic, laser engraved, button caps that allow the mechanical RGB illuminated switches underneath to shine through. The switches are quality mechanical linear action key switches that will last a very long time, and feel great to use.

Q: Is that an OLED screen?

A: You bet. It is a contrast rich OLED screen with a 128x64 pixel resolution. The GUI is designed from scratch for the Digitakt and the new screen.

Q: This is just a small boat, where is our flagship?!

A: Why not both? We have not stopped working on 'big' projects.

With the Digitakt we are finally dipping our toes into a more economic and simple instrument, which is something we have been thinking about doing for a long time.

Q: So what's in it for me, who already owns This or That?

A: It all depends on your workflow and preference.

The Digitakt offers a streamlined approach to the Elektron workflow, and a clear set of functionalities that will allow you to focus on your creative goals.

For those who want to just sit down and make beats, compose and play around with samples and sampling - the Digitakt will be perfect. The simple, yet very competent functionality and the small, yet rugged footprint makes the Digitakt an apt companion for both your bedroom and the club.

Q: Is the sampling fast and straight forward?

A: Yes!

Q: What about the MIDI sequencer, is it polyphonic?

A: The MIDI sequencer has the same great features found in our Analog series, such as Trig Conditions and Parameter Locks. It features a +3 note offset on every step so that you can sequence chords. (Up to four notes)

Q: Mono? 8 tracks? 64MB? Isn't that a bit meager for 2017?

A: The Digitakt is designed for working with drums, both in one shots and sample chains. The mixing per track is in stereo, so you will be able to spatialize you drums to your heart's content.

The Digitakt also has a Project structure, which means that you have 1GB of storage to load 64MB of samples to each project. Loading and saving projects is a breeze, and will keep things tidy for you.

Regarding the track count, keep in mind that these are 8 sample tracks of our Elektron signature sequencer, with all the bells and whistles from its bigger siblings. Each step can be locked with a different sample and parameters.

We work with proper embedded processors and hardcore programming to achieve a stable and extremely responsive instrument. We believe that hardware should be hardware, and not a computer in a shiny case.

And lastly, there are more details to come. See you in April.

Cheers from a suddenly snowy Gothenburg!
By Ill-Green Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:20 am
More info at the Elektronauts forum but from posters that have communication with Elektron. The sample features are looking good, pretty much what RTYM has but they added 3 more features to it that makes chopping a breeze. Reminds me of Extract on the MPC500 but they took it to another level and easier to use. Really becoming a cool box. I was turned off at first but its a little SP1200 now.

Other news, preorders are up and shipping begins on May 24.

https://www.elektron.se/products/digitakt/
By tapedeck Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 pm
i think this thing looks good and a perfect price point. i can't comment too much on the buttons as i've never used these, but the buttons on the op-1 are not pads and they play great, and so i am not turned off by the idea of them not being true 'pads'. from what i see, it looks like a modern mpc-inspired elektron. or like an updated and fleshed out version of the sampler from the machinedrum which is really good.
By Ill-Green Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 am
The buttons are 100% ABS with laser engravings. Elektron said they are tested with a duration of 50 million presses. I was raised on rubber pads but since it has no velocity, I guess its gonna be alright. SP1200 has plastic buttons too :mrgreen:

Its getting flack from other forums because of it only has 2 outs, people expecting an MPC. Also because of the 64MB limitation and other things. Personally, to me, its a dope little machine with limitations that can probably expand one's creativity. How many samplers were limited and now are mythical creatures.

With the right marketing and right users to demo the Digitakt, this can rival the SP-404SX and perhaps create its own cult following.

At first, the vision was to be a drum machine that can sample and samples were to be limited to oneshots and gates but now Elektron changed it to a full fledge sampler with drum capabilities.

Still waiting on a demo video, we might see that during Musikmesse in 2 weeks.
By tapedeck Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 pm
i'm not sure how it's cut up into projects / snapshots etc, but 64mb for one chunk is still pretty nice. that's like 3 minutes of stereo cd quality right? the loading times are so low that swapping projects to get another 6 whole minutes of sampling time is not a huge deal to me.

as for the outputs, i guess people can't read / aren't up to date on technology yet. it says it is overbridge enabled which, on their other devices, means individual outputs over a single usb. overbridge support is where all these other manufacturers wish they were and is going to take a while for the masses to catch on to.