Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ill-Green Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:17 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I thought about similar setups. I figure track everything into live then mix and master on the computer.

I really want to learn to do that stuff properly and really can't afford all the hardware to do so... already have the tools I need just a matter of using them.

Although somewhere alone the way a badass compressor might be on the list. Lol

A great rack can make all the difference indeed.

Really there is nothing to learn in recording unless you wanna know the science of sound travel and the tricks to treat a room, thats another story. What I mean is recording is like painting a canvas, your ideas come out as your skills allow them. And every time you record, your skills expand as you try new things. And thats what its all about: trying new things. If you want a loud sound then you're gonna have to record loud, want grimey then record it grimey, it makes it easier at mixdown. Don't mind me, I'm not lecturing or nothing, just saying you can record like a DAW on any device that has a record function. :)

Today's music is all about the plugins and apps, but back in the day it was all about the mics and the sound going into them.
By Cockdiesel Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:44 pm
Naw, it's actually encouraging to me to hear that.

I guess I'm interested in the mixing and mastering aspect. Properly.

It's hard to keep In mind it's not what You got but what you do with it.
Last edited by Cockdiesel on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Cockdiesel Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:35 am

I knew the kp3 would be a killer combo with this thing. Dude likes the hands on but I wanna see this setup step sequenced like the other vids. The digital effects of the kp3 programmed going through the analog heat....

Resampling and messing with the sp555+digi is dope, loved the mpc, kp3, sp setup. This would be even more fun. You can sample in mono and they can be easily transferred to the digi....

I know the midi is glitchy but another update or two and it'll be nuts.

The digi is awesome and seems to compliment other units very well. Even units you can get on the cheap can be used in crazy ways.
By Kegeratorz Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:21 pm
Ill-Green wrote:
Really there is nothing to learn in recording unless you wanna know the science of sound travel and the tricks to treat a room, thats another story. What I mean is recording is like painting a canvas, your ideas come out as your skills allow them. And every time you record, your skills expand as you try new things. And thats what its all about: trying new things. If you want a loud sound then you're gonna have to record loud, want grimey then record it grimey, it makes it easier at mixdown. Don't mind me, I'm not lecturing or nothing, just saying you can record like a DAW on any device that has a record function. :)

Well said
By Cockdiesel Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:09 am
I like it. Nice touch with the aesthetics, custom retro mini tank type vibe.

Ill-Green wrote:Doing something special for the Digitakt. Just little woodstands everywhere sprinkling love and joy.

By Cockdiesel Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:51 pm
Damn bro, didn't realize it was a whole setup like that. Streamlined as ****.

How big is that table? Looks like the perfect bedroom setup.

I plan on setting up the midi keys on mine tonight. Hopefully I can rock it asr style.
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:21 am
Finally figured out the midi on the digi tonight. It actually works really similar to the asr. It's differnt but you can accomplish the similar stuff I remember on the asr... it's been about 10 years fo me so cut me some slack if i'm over looking anything.

Basically each track is it's own midi channel. Once you select the track you want the sample is automatically spread out chromatically across the keys. You don't have to enter chromatic mode and it will still record chromatically.

I was able to have the sample mapped across 49 keys and even could scroll up or down a few octaves. If you scroll all the way down the first 8 keys will be mapped to play the base sounds on all 8 tracks. So you can basically split between your stock sounds and select a track and have it mapped atleast across the other 41 keys. Bigger keyboards you will certainly have more.

From what I remember about the asr it excelled at making loops and sample mangling for me. It had some decent effects as well. I believe the digi can compete or excel with everything except the effects. However with something like a kp3 the effects could be fully programmed. I don't remember if the asr would record parameter changes or not.

I also noticed they redid the delay and reverb interfaces with the last update, real slick.

No crashes tonight just recording notes from the keyboard either. :smoker:
By Ill-Green Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:37 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Damn bro, didn't realize it was a whole setup like that. Streamlined as ****.

How big is that table? Looks like the perfect bedroom setup.

I plan on setting up the midi keys on mine tonight. Hopefully I can rock it asr style.

Its one of those "dinner for one" tables, costs about $10. Its 20"x18". I plan not to use that table for its for sculpting, but I will cut out something similar soon and below knee level :mrgreen:

Just saw some vids using MIDI keyboards and its sweet, you get velocity too. I think you can play chords too, have to find it again but from what I saw, it was a smooth process.

Kegeratorz wrote:
This is awesome!! How's that overload sound?

Thanks Kegeratorz!!

I love the dirt it pushes, makes soft sounds come out rugged and rough. I love what it does to Rhode samples. Its quiet too. Very nice for analog. I bought it as an alternative for an Analog Heat because I spent for the MPC Live, all I wanted was the overdrive and EQ anyway. Though the Heat can sync to beats and has MIDI, the Overlord is hands-on.
By Cockdiesel Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:00 am

hope to see more of this. I might get a midi port expander for the live until the digi gets its midi control sorted out with updates. Mines been working fine since I stopped using the midi tracks on it.

I still have it in the back of my mind that the live has potential to be the greatest companion to the digi. We shall see, especially if they keep rolling out updates.
By jpeg Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:58 pm
would like some insigt on sample flipping on the digikat; given that that there are no mute groups and only 8 pads that u can assign samples to, how do u have samples on multiple pads? cos many of the pads will be used for drums and bass.

for instance if buttons 1 to 5 are used for kick, snare, hat,shaker and bass.

If I have a sample that is chopped into 4 parts that I wanna play with and flip; how can I go about this? as the pads 8 to 16 can only be used for midi data.

also can you layer samples?
By starmanwarz Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:59 pm
jpeg wrote:would like some insigt on sample flipping on the digikat; given that that there are no mute groups and only 8 pads that u can assign samples to, how do u have samples on multiple pads? cos many of the pads will be used for drums and bass.

for instance if buttons 1 to 5 are used for kick, snare, hat,shaker and bass.

If I have a sample that is chopped into 4 parts that I wanna play with and flip; how can I go about this? as the pads 8 to 16 can only be used for midi data.

also can you layer samples?

First of all, it's called Digitakt.

As far as chopping, you can either parameter lock the whole sample which is assigned to 1 track, playing a different part every time, or you can assign multiple chops to tracks (up to 7), flip them the way you like and then resample them and assign them on the 8th track. Then you have another 7 tracks to work with. Resample some more and you get more tracks.

Layering can only be done via resampling too.