Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ill-Green Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:01 pm
Yeah man, since the Digitakt arrived, I forgot all about my MPC Live :lol: I mean, I can handle the MPC but this is something new from a company I am not familiar with, workflow-wise.

In ways, its like an SP505 or SP606 when it comes to sampling and sequencing. The P-locks are a new world to explore that I am learning.

I finally got the Elektron chop method down. Its about having different points in the sample playing at different steps in the sequencer, very useful and crazy dope. I chop traditionally on it too but to save pad space, its best to keep the chops on one track. This will be my next video :D
By DimensionsTomorrow Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 am
Ill-Green wrote:Yeah man, since the Digitakt arrived, I forgot all about my MPC Live :lol: I mean, I can handle the MPC but this is something new from a company I am not familiar with, workflow-wise.

In ways, its like an SP505 or SP606 when it comes to sampling and sequencing. The P-locks are a new world to explore that I am learning.

I finally got the Elektron chop method down. Its about having different points in the sample playing at different steps in the sequencer, very useful and crazy dope. I chop traditionally on it too but to save pad space, its best to keep the chops on one track. This will be my next video :D

Looking forward to it! I'm away from the Digitakt for a couple of weeks, but already planning some projects. Keep those videos coming. :popcorn:
By DimensionsTomorrow Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:48 am
Ill-Green wrote:Nice approach with the visuals.

There's only so much you can do when you are twisting knobs and hitting buttons. Haha. I need a stand to show the screen. I may try a split screen with film footage or something next time. :hmmm:

This was basically just a practice run. I've never used iMovie before. Makes me really appreciate your amazing stop motion stuff. That is unbelievable.
By Cockdiesel Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:57 am
I agree. It's got the whole underground vibe to it. reminds me of old dj stuff id see alot. back when it took 2 days to download a like a 10 min movie in crap quality. I can see you making some fire videos bro. looking forwards to ills new video, he got that big homie vibe. I havent ventured out to video but I got some slick shit planned for the digi this coming week.

imma load 8 single cycle samples into the digi, get some drums going on my live and run the shit through my modular. Just had to move real quick but I should be all setup again for this weeknd. I want to jam on the thing for hours(like 5-10 hours a week) over the next month and distill it down to maybe a 20-40 min. beat tape type thing. Not a real tape but the thought to mix it down to a vcr crossed my mind. lol I got a few little clips Il prolly load up soon with the digi.

EDIT: the bottom end is so dope on the digi... I loaded some samples I cut up from a bass test cd and put some of that lfo on there. man... such smooth and deep basslines... I love pounding speakers and this shit is nuts..
By DimensionsTomorrow Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:32 am
Cockdiesel wrote:I agree. It's got the whole underground vibe to it. reminds me of old dj stuff id see alot. back when it took 2 days to download a like a 10 min movie in **** quality. I can see you making some fire videos bro. looking forwards to ills new video, he got that big homie vibe. I havent ventured out to video but I got some slick **** planned for the digi this coming week.

imma load 8 single cycle samples into the digi, get some drums going on my live and run the **** through my modular. Just had to move real quick but I should be all setup again for this weeknd. I want to jam on the thing for hours(like 5-10 hours a week) over the next month and distill it down to maybe a 20-40 min. beat tape type thing. Not a real tape but the thought to mix it down to a vcr crossed my mind. lol I got a few little clips Il prolly load up soon with the digi.

EDIT: the bottom end is so dope on the digi... I loaded some samples I cut up from a bass test cd and put some of that lfo on there. man... such smooth and deep basslines... I love pounding speakers and this **** is nuts..

That beat tape idea is great! I'm really looking forward to it.
By Cockdiesel Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:48 pm
Yea be a slap in the face to new digitakt buyers if they did I like that. I expect they are working on on similar "big box" although the new octa is real sexy looking... no overbridge really holds that thing back.

I could see a lot of newer elektron users with the digi jumping on that thing just after buying a digi.
By Ill-Green Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 pm
Older Elektron users are pissed after buying a Digitakt. They planning to return their DTs. Its just new cosmetics, but the inputs and outputs were upgraded though, might have the Digitakt sound.

All I want is Elektron to continue developing the Digitakt, its a machine I dreamed of when all I had was a Roland MS-1. SPs couldn't satisfy me for their lack of pitch tuning, and the reason I bought them all was because I had written Roland to include it in a new SP, but every time I bought the latest SP, something was lacking from previous boxes. I stopped buying SPs from Roland and went MV, great purchase and everything I want but too big, too clunky and dated. I just wanted a little sampler to mobile around my house like I used to do with my MS-1 (which was the first battery powered sampler ever in sampling history) so I was spoiled by mobilization of machine way back in the 90's.

Anyway enough of my pet peeves, Digitakt is where its at, but if they make them in gun metal like the OTmkII, I would get one. Sell my MPC Live to fund it too :-D

DimensionsTomorrow wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:Nice approach with the visuals.

There's only so much you can do when you are twisting knobs and hitting buttons. Haha. I need a stand to show the screen. I may try a split screen with film footage or something next time. :hmmm:

This was basically just a practice run. I've never used iMovie before. Makes me really appreciate your amazing stop motion stuff. That is unbelievable.

Really? Thank you DimensionsTomorrow tricks I learned from a book called Phantasmagoria Theater from the 1920's. Mostly about how to make a horror play at a professional level. Awesome book of a lost art due to digital effects. Everything from shadow ghosts to pyrotechnics.

Inspiring vid you did, makes me want to do something like that. I don't bite though, I like doing my own thing, we motivate each other to do different things. 8)
By Cockdiesel Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:29 pm
I prolly would only sell my live live fund fund a x. I dig the elektron stuff I have but it's just not not mpc to me.

The digi is where it's at tho got that thing poppin last night. The live/digi combo is more than I ever could dream up. Like you I hope they both keep getting developed, so far elektron has been pretty good and hopefully when Akai gets it act together they're just as solid.
By DimensionsTomorrow Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:21 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Older Elektron users are pissed after buying a Digitakt. They planning to return their DTs. Its just new cosmetics, but the inputs and outputs were upgraded though, might have the Digitakt sound.

All I want is Elektron to continue developing the Digitakt, its a machine I dreamed of when all I had was a Roland MS-1. SPs couldn't satisfy me for their lack of pitch tuning, and the reason I bought them all was because I had written Roland to include it in a new SP, but every time I bought the latest SP, something was lacking from previous boxes. I stopped buying SPs from Roland and went MV, great purchase and everything I want but too big, too clunky and dated. I just wanted a little sampler to mobile around my house like I used to do with my MS-1 (which was the first battery powered sampler ever in sampling history) so I was spoiled by mobilization of machine way back in the 90's.

Anyway enough of my pet peeves, Digitakt is where its at, but if they make them in gun metal like the OTmkII, I would get one. Sell my MPC Live to fund it too :-D

Really? Thank you DimensionsTomorrow tricks I learned from a book called Phantasmagoria Theater from the 1920's. Mostly about how to make a horror play at a professional level. Awesome book of a lost art due to digital effects. Everything from shadow ghosts to pyrotechnics.

Inspiring vid you did, makes me want to do something like that. I don't bite though, I like doing my own thing, we motivate each other to do different things. 8)

There really is something inspiring about those old school samplers like the MS-1. I'm planning to midi up my Yamaha SU-10 for some grime when I get back to Japan. It lacks a decent sequencer so the idea is to try to use the Digitakt to unleash that thing to its full potential. I just need to sort out midi on the Digitakt, it's not as straight forward as I assumed. The midi notes between the SU10 and Digitakt are two octaves off and I couldn't figure out how to play the pads on the SU10 and have it record into the sequncer live. I found a work around using the chromatic mode on the Digitakt though.

The book you mentioned sounds amazing. I'm going to do some googling. I really dig stuff from that era. I was actually addicted to the Old Time Radio programs from that era. They really knew how to tell a story back then. I also dig a lot of the old school Hollywood stop-motion effects. My mom used to take me to the $1 movies in the summer when I was a kid. They used to show stuff like Jason and the Argonauts and Sinbad. Some amazing old school techniques in those films.

I'm inspired to up my game this year. Video and beats. :smoker:
By Cockdiesel Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:43 am
I have everything all set up after moving and after the update the digitakt is running smooth with midi. running everything all at once is BEYOND mind blowing. Using the assignable outs on the live into the inputs on the digi is baller. It's all integrated to be one badass system. IM running some synths, effects pedals and a sp555 so Im using the mackie into the analog heat into the live. Still alot of work for me to do with making templates on the live for everything, but so far everything has exceeded my expectations.

One of the biggest keys was running that assignable output to the digi. you can keep the monitor on and send whatever samples you want to blend with the digi to it. Works great with the analog heat. Still more to learn but If anyone is planning on pairing a digi with a live, I highly suggest it. Really a game changer with a midi keyboard connected to the live and controlling the digi. It takes some work, and I still have more to do but the last few nights I had everything working seamlessly and beautifully i might add.

I'll have some clips up soon on my soundcloud, hopefully I can get some feedback.
By Ill-Green Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:03 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I have everything all set up after moving and after the update the digitakt is running smooth with midi. running everything all at once is BEYOND mind blowing. Using the assignable outs on the live into the inputs on the digi is baller. It's all integrated to be one badass system. IM running some synths, effects pedals and a sp555 so Im using the mackie into the analog heat into the live. Still alot of work for me to do with making templates on the live for everything, but so far everything has exceeded my expectations.

One of the biggest keys was running that assignable output to the digi. you can keep the monitor on and send whatever samples you want to blend with the digi to it. Works great with the analog heat. Still more to learn but If anyone is planning on pairing a digi with a live, I highly suggest it. Really a game changer with a midi keyboard connected to the live and controlling the digi. It takes some work, and I still have more to do but the last few nights I had everything working seamlessly and beautifully i might add.

I'll have some clips up soon on my soundcloud, hopefully I can get some feedback.

Dope! You got the MIDI running. I hear its still buggy in that department. I don't use MIDI but I have requested to Elektron to open trigs 9 to 16 as audio samples. One cat suggested for options to switch between audio machine to MIDI machine, this way all trigs can be used for samples or all trigs for MIDI. Which makes sense, but thats if the motherboard inside can handle it.

Can't wait to hear what you make.

Off topic-I decided to produce my next album soley on the Digitakt. I was gonna do it on the Live but it just wasn't a challenge, its built for making albums but Digitakt's limits inspire me to get nasty and creative :-D
By Cockdiesel Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:46 am
Ill-Green wrote:Dope! You got the MIDI running. I hear its still buggy in that department. I don't use MIDI but I have requested to Elektron to open trigs 9 to 16 as audio samples. One cat suggested for options to switch between audio machine to MIDI machine, this way all trigs can be used for samples or all trigs for MIDI. Which makes sense, but thats if the motherboard inside can handle it.

Can't wait to hear what you make.

Off topic-I decided to produce my next album soley on the Digitakt. I was gonna do it on the Live but it just wasn't a challenge, its built for making albums but Digitakt's limits inspire me to get nasty and creative :-D

Thats a dope idea with the two different modes. Im running alot of midi so I cant use a few of the tracks unless I configure differently. Or if you dont use midi thats 8 tracks you would never use, half the damn machine. We'll see they have been pretty good so far with features.

Sounds like a tough challenge for making a whole album on the digi but I seen what you did with just a 606 Im sure you got this. The tracks I seen you had that 606 poppin. It's perfect for the sound you got going on, I can see why you dig the digi so much. I had a tough time with the 606 but it wasn't a good side piece next to a 4k. The 555 was perfect for me.