Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By ThirdEye Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:40 pm
So I recently tried to hook up my S950 to sample drums/bass into it, I have the RCA 1/4 inches with the one ring and two ring ends, although only stereo RCA single rings, and double rings on my Mono/Single 1/4 lead, tried both not sure what is needed.

However I tried hooking up my digital out on my mixer to the input on the S950 and had no input signal level, also tried from MPC output to the S950 input with no success, not sure what I'm doing wrong....?
By ThirdEye Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:53 pm
Wal Martian wrote:for my s900 I use mono unbalanced(one ring) into the Line input on the front. Monitor from the far left output labelled Mix also with a mono unbalanced cable.

Thanks for that! Had to use dual 1/4 inch cables with just one channel in though as I don't have a single ring mono cable. So would it just record one side of the speaker or is it fine like that?

Also, I read that sampling from the s950 back into say an MPC isn't so good, and MIDI triggering is better?
By Wal Martian Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:27 pm
Sampling one channel is fine. Before the advent of stereo sound, all records were recorded in mono (The Beatles etc.). It's true you will only be sampling one channel or half the sound but sometimes you will find open drum breaks panned to one side.

As for leaving the sound in the s950, purists will say that is the best way to go but I'd say it's not necessary. If you do use MIDI to trigger the sound you can use the famous s900/s950 low pass filter. Using keygroups and building programs can be tedious though.
By ThirdEye Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:24 pm
Managed to get a mono TS cable sorted, so that's all good.

I was gonna use the LP filter and whatever else it has to dirty up my drums and stuff. I thought you could do that without midi triggering, cause you just record it to the s950 add the effects, and then play it back and either trigger it or send it out to mixer/mpc again...

Is it complicated to set up the MIDI trigger, from what I remember from connecting my MPC to Ableton one time you just set the key group and MIDI channel to a specific number?

Any effects you'd recommend as well?