Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By malleus maleficarum Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:56 pm
I have an Akai S900 with a relatively new disk drive. I notice that it seems to be picky about what 3.5 disks it will actually read. The IT guy at my work gave me a bunch of old floppies. The S900 will format them but won't store anything to them. It just gives me the message 'bad data from disk'. However, it does read certain other disks. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue. Is it the disk drive or does the S900 need a special type of floppy disk? Any advice is appreciated!
By peterpiper Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:18 pm
The s900 is picky when it comes to disk drives. I got 2 s900 one has the original drive (don't try searching for it cause it's superrare). On the other s900 I had to change the drive. Did some research on many floppy drive mod blogs etc and finally bought some old chinon FB254 or FZ354 or was it FZ357?
anyway this kind of drives was a standard drive in Commodore Amiga computers so you will find many drives without a front plate. The ones with front are from Amiga A2000 they are slightly higher than usual PC drives and since the driveslot in the 900 is higher they willfitmuch better than other drives.
I also posted a picture of the jumper settings in another thread here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=117231

peace