Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By SWBeebe Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 pm
I have an Akai S900 that any samples played through the CH4 output, plays at twice the normal speed. I have tracked it to the CPU PCB, but the CPU schematic is not in the S900 service manual. I was using a CPU schematic from a S950 manual, but I cannot find a clean one. I am seeing double the clock on the DADV3 and DMAK3 lines which come from IC4. All the other channels run at 11.78kHz and this runs at 23.6kHz. They all share the same master clock, and that's about as far as I can go using the S950 manual. (To broken up to read and my limited knowledge of direct memory access controllers) I have tried to replace IC4 with no change. I then tried a set of V1.2 EEPROMs with no change, so I reinstalled the V1.2A IC's. Anyone with some advice?
By SWBeebe Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:12 pm
If you boot the unit without a disk in it, and go to the "edit program" then scroll to number 16 and select "output" you can select what channel you are outputting to. If you press the "PB" button it will give you a test tone. Any of the other channels are fine, but CH4 is double pitch. I was under the impression that the unit would boot to factory default every time powered off?
By peterpiper Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:59 pm
oh, that sounds like a serious deep issue. Nothing like the usual stuff people fight with (display contast/brightness, floppy drive). I will search thru my documents and post s900 related stuff if I find some.

peace
By SWBeebe Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:20 pm
Thank you. I'm not even sure if what I am chasing is even correct, but I do know somewhere the clock is getting doubled, and those lines are double what the other channels are. They may be just a result of the doubling? From what I was reading, it seems that when you increase the pitch, it increases a clock for that sample. But I am unclear on where that line would come from and the path it takes from there.
By Ill-Green Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:01 am
Maybe its a prototype model and they were testing different frequencies from the outs. I don't know but check out the serial number. Or it was just badly hacked by another user.
By SWBeebe Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:46 pm
If I make a 2 second sample, it will play fine on the other selected outputs, but will be sped up to 1 second on the CH4 output. (Plays the same sample, but at twice the speed.) That's why I was trying a new set of EEPROMS in case the programming was corrupt. It still had the same issue with the other set of EEPROMS so I put the old ones back in.