Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By flextone Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:06 pm
Hi,

So I'm a long time mpc 3K user, sold it and got a 1000 with JJOS to comfort me. While it is a huge step up in playability and programming, something about it is not working for me. Not entirely sure what though, the sound isn't that bad really. I don't want to get into the Live or MPC X at this time, seems like a smartphone with pads, not for me.

Anyway I'm curious about the Ableton Push design but I'm a hardware guy and I need the sound to go through outboard before hitting the a/d etc. So I thought about getting a Push 2 and using it in conjunction with an akai z8 to create a sort of über mpc4000. Now, in terms of sequencing it via the Push, is this a bad idea? Ideally I would like an MPC workflow, but is this how Push/Live works? Could I use this pair as an mpc without looking at the computer screen?

I like the idea of having Push + Ableton as a creative tool but still having a hardware sampler sequenced from a tactile surface. Only thing I will absolutely need is a good jitter free midi device to tighten up the clock from Ableton.

Your thoughts?
By richie Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:19 pm
You can accomplish what you're looking for. You'd just have to create some rack templates to assist your workflow. The only time killer to some would be having to resample/ sample everything into the Z8 first but I assume if you're willing to use a Z8 that you already know this anyway.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to use every parameter to control modulation, envelopes, etc on the Z8 from the Push without a lot of sysex template programming which could be more work than its worth. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here?
By Heavie Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:50 pm
richie wrote:You can accomplish what you're looking for. You'd just have to create some rack templates to assist your workflow. The only time killer to some would be having to resample/ sample everything into the Z8 first but I assume if you're willing to use a Z8 that you already know this anyway.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to use every parameter to control modulation, envelopes, etc on the Z8 from the Push without a lot of sysex template programming which could be more work than its worth. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here?

I second your reply, Talk about a strong effort in getting the two to work, link and sync together. A controller + software with the Z8 2002 old standalone tech. Richie better off just getting a smartphone with pads mpc live or x, as he called it and save himself a lot of headaches.
By flextone Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:15 pm
Thanks guys.

richie wrote:You can accomplish what you're looking for. You'd just have to create some rack templates to assist your workflow. The only time killer to some would be having to resample/ sample everything into the Z8 first but I assume if you're willing to use a Z8 that you already know this anyway.

Well the mpc1000 isn't easier to use in this regard, and as the Z8 supports 24bit it's mostly a simple drag and drop affair. Not worried about that, you're right!

richie wrote:I'm not sure if you'd be able to use every parameter to control modulation, envelopes, etc on the Z8 from the Push without a lot of sysex template programming which could be more work than its worth. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here?

My idea is to use the detachable Z8 front panel right next to the push, so I have all the buttons and qlink knobs right there. No need for Racks and Macros, nothing. Just use the Push as the sequencer. Only problem will be recording the qlink movements into the sequence. I would assume that connecting the Z8's MIDI output to the Midi input of my interface will make this possible, but perhaps not as smooth as I'd wish.

Anybody integrating Push with other hardware care to chime in?
By dryad-66 Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:52 pm
How are you getting on with this?Ive just recieved push 2 (very cool devise) and also have the Z8.Have not sequenced it yet.Seems like this set up can be a lot more flexible than MPC but more stress.But as everything hits ableton anyway its the logical conclusion.

edit-very tempted by MPC X at this point.But i think the Push 2 might have saved me.....