Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By edzer Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:04 pm
is it possible to take the scsi port from a 16+ rack and put it in to the keyboard version?

with the keyboard SCSI expander so rare, I decided to buy a rack version I found dirt cheap but now I'm starting to miss those keys.

I've searched Google but found nothing, and am planning on reaching out to Thesoniq, but figured I'd ask the knowledgeable heads here as well.

plan B is just sell both of them and just get an ASR10...
By edzer Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:36 pm
yeah i hear ya, man.

i still slightly prefer the 16+ sound though, and for what I got both pieces for (~$200 each), I still couldn't have purchased an ASR.

but i'm on the lookout now in case my frankenstein idea is a no-go.
By richie Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:33 am
@edzer there's been some ASR10's popping up locally for around the $500 mark. Only thing I've noticed is that a lot of people I've met in Toronto don't know or care to maintain their equipment, which can be a plus for you if you know what you're doing.
By 60_3000_2000_4000 Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:31 am
edzer wrote:i still slightly prefer the 16+ sound though

At the risk of touching on a subject that has been previously covered.... I recently got a 16+ and compared the sound of a 22kHz sampled drumbreak with my ASR10 (converted to 22kHZ)... exactly the same. And I mean exactly.

I didn't have the time to compare the other rates... when have you noticed the difference between the two? I have heard that they are different before, from sources I consider to be reliable - I just didn't hear anything myself.
By richie Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 am
The EPS-16 is more "soulful" and has more "lo fi" to it. *LOL*
By edzer Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm
@60_3000_2000_4000 been around them quite a bit, but never AB'd at the same sample rate, so I'll take your word for that.

another reason to just say $%^& it and get an ASR then.

@richie that ASR for $500 is broken. buddies of mine were going to buy, but passed after testing.
By richie Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:53 pm
@edzer I've seen more than one within that same price range. Most of the issues with the ASR-10 have to do with the power supply, so if you have someone that can rebuild it then you'd be good for years to come.