Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Okerreko Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:06 am
Hello there, I am new to this forum, this is my first message on the board, I hope I do everything right, if not, please let me know.

I have used a S2800 for years and have recently laid my hands on a very cheap S3000XL in full working condition, so very happy about this, since my old 2800 was already giving em some trouble, specially for the fading of the screen. Besides the 3000XL has got more outputs, something very useful for me at the moment. Anyway, the thing is that the (optional) effects board (EB16 I think) is not present in the sampler. My old 2800 has got effects (they camewith the 2800 by default). I am thinking that maybe I could use the 2800 card in the 3000XL, but I haven't found any information about it online or otherwise. Actually I found impossible to find any place where the 2800 specs told the model of the card present in the machine (and I have never laid my hands on a specific 2800 manual, everyone refers me to the 3000 manual). :hmmm:

Has anyone tried this or knows if the card in the s2800 is an EB16? Just asking before I got my hands into the sampler, screwdriver in hand.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
By richie Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 am
The S2800 has what is called on board effects, so no removable EB16. The effects on the EB16 are actually different in some regards, such as it has a cheap reverb where as on the S2800 you do not have reverb but a grip of flanger and delay effects instead.

The sample engine on the S2800 is different than the S3000XL. Some say that the S2800 series (so S3000, MPC 3000) does sound 'better' than the S3000XL (so S2000, MPC 2000, MPC 2000XL) as well. So it may be advisable to just get the backlight repaired on your S2800 and buy the S3000XL for the extra outputs in conjunction with the S2800 as well. Plus ram is a lot cheaper on the S3000XL as it uses normal pc SIMM memory vs the S2800 using expensive proprietary cards.
By Okerreko Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:57 pm
Hey Richie

Thanks a lot for your reply. Of course I was not thinking of getting rid of my 2800, but after your answer, clearly I will not do it. The screen is "sad" but still easy to use if you are not in a dark room. Seem reasonable then to have both working as a team, :-)

Thanks a bunch again!
By richie Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:46 pm
You're welcome man. But hey, It'll cost you about $25-35 to get a new back light for your S2800. I switched mine out and it's been fine. There's also new screens for them as well but they cost about the same it would cost you to buy an S3000XL. So depending on your dedication to the machine or needs, you still have options.

Also, the EB16 aint all that man. I have one and all I really use it for now is in my 2000XL for a bit of distortion really. For the price of a EB16, you could put that towards finding an Ensoniq series effects unit like a DP2 or DP4 series.
By Okerreko Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:14 pm
hey, It'll cost you about $25-35 to get a new back light for your S2800. I switched mine out and it's been fine. There's also new screens for them as well but they cost about the same it would cost you to buy an S3000XL. So depending on your dedication to the machine or needs, you still have options.

So far what I've found was quite expensive, more than 35$ definitely. I'll keep checking now and then, I love the machine and I want to keep it... [UPDATE: I just found one for 28 on Ebay, grrreat!]

Also, the EB16 aint all that man. I have one and all I really use it for now is in my 2000XL for a bit of distortion really. For the price of a EB16, you could put that towards finding an Ensoniq series effects unit like a DP2 or DP4 series.

Yeah, I'll check that too, I've heard before about the not-so-amazing-quality of the EB16... Thanks a lot for the ensoniq tip, I'll check that too
By richie Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:30 pm
Hey Devon so I was checking on the internet using a search engine and I found a site called eBay that has them available.

The back lights available for the S1000/S1100/S2800/S3000/S3000XL/S3200XL are all the same fitting.