Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ill-Green Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:39 pm
chino wrote:@Ill Green... I'm still searching for the perfect sampler to play out live with. I'm use to the workflow of the MV8800 but it's just too big & bulky to take out to gigs. It is also too slow to load in samples & projects. I know your familiar with the MV8800 workflow so I have a couple questions...

What is the max USB size that the DJS-1000 can use-32GB or 64GB/128GB? Does it have the same 8gb internal RAM as the Toraiz? Is the overall workflow similar to the MV8800 or SP? My bad with all the questions but researching on Pioneer's forum is no help! It's almost like Pioneer is trying to hide the detailed specs/workflow from potential buyers.

I appreciate any help that you can provide!

Whats up Chino,

Yeah, same reason I sold my MV8800, just was too big and long loading times.

The workflow on the DJS compared to the MV is almost the same, more like a Super Roland SP with pro features. DJS is light years faster though. Timestretch is a simple button press and use of the fader unlike the MV where you need to take steps. Less menu diving, features are practically on the panel. Only difference from the MV and DJS is that on the DJS, everything is limited to the 64 second sample limit...even direct recording is limited to 64 seconds, unlike the MV where record/sample time are very liberal. Also, there is no type of song mode or pattern chaining on the DJS, you will have to chain patterns manually.

The DJS does not have the 8GB RAM like the Toraiz SP16. It will not save unless you have a USB flash stick in there, which brings me to your next question about USB sticks. Its actually built to accept the latest and greatest USB flashdrives out there. The newer the faster is what I see. I had a 16GB USB 2.0 and was a little slow, switched to a 64GB 3.0 and its fast to load. Its max is unknown at this time.

Pioneer as a company relating to its customers are the worst I ever seen. I was expecting world class DJs and producers hyping it up but nothing happened.

I actually love the machine, it speaks to me and my flow because I record my beats as live performances into the DAW so having no song mode doesn't bother me. However, since you are coming from an MV, I recommend the Toraiz SP-16. Its the same as the DJS-1000 but you get Song mode and 8GB of internal space, plus 6 Outs. What the DJS has over the SP16 is that it has effects, 2 types of auto-chop (Slice and Hot Slice) and ability to delete samples. As crazy that sounds, but Toraiz does not have a purge or delete feature to rid of unwanted samples. Don't know how the Toraiz boys do it, but must be a work around.

Let me know if anything else peace.

Btw, the DJS is pretty big. Not MV big, but maybe 15% smaller than the MV.
By chino Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:22 am
@Ill Green- Thanks for all the good info! Much appreciated!! :worthy: I'm 99% sure Im gonna buy the DJS-1000. Not having a way to delete samples on the Toraiz is something I don't want to deal with. Plugging in a USB into a computer each time I want to delete a sample would get annoying real fast! I can also deal with not having the 8 outputs. One last question in regards to reliability/stability...

My goal is to play out live with the DJs-1000. The reason I haven't bought the MPC Live is because of Akai's poor track record with overall stability. I can't afford any freezes or crashes at my gigs. Have you found the DJs-1000 to be stable? Any freezes or crashes?
By Ill-Green Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:16 am
Glad to help man :)

For me, the DJS-1000 is the fastest blade of the bunch. I have absolutely not experience any freezing or hanging and I have mine since December, crafting my album. So you know, I am heavy into it every other day.

I have encountered minor glitches here and there. Nothing major to interrupt workflow, but sometimes I hit the Hot Slice button, it takes me to the slice screen where I can see the waves chopped but when I deactivate it, the screen remains on the slice screen. Again, not an issue because simply hitting the Home key will get me out, but it might be intentional by Pioneer, Idk.

I am not a MIDI guy, so I can't tell you how it performs in that department but from what I read in the manual, you get tons of parameters to control if you slaved it. I hear the MIDI clock is great too.

Download the manual, lots of things to learn, and lots of things not in the manual that you will discover. Thats the part I hate about their forums, hardly any tricks and tips from users. Just bitching and crying.
By chino Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:34 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Glad to help man :)

For me, the DJS-1000 is the fastest blade of the bunch. I have absolutely not experience any freezing or hanging and I have mine since December, crafting my album. So you know, I am heavy into it every other day.

I have encountered minor glitches here and there. Nothing major to interrupt workflow, but sometimes I hit the Hot Slice button, it takes me to the slice screen where I can see the waves chopped but when I deactivate it, the screen remains on the slice screen. Again, not an issue because simply hitting the Home key will get me out, but it might be intentional by Pioneer, Idk.

I am not a MIDI guy, so I can't tell you how it performs in that department but from what I read in the manual, you get tons of parameters to control if you slaved it. I hear the MIDI clock is great too.

Download the manual, lots of things to learn, and lots of things not in the manual that you will discover. Thats the part I hate about their forums, hardly any tricks and tips from users. Just bitching and crying.

Full manual downloaded & printed off. DJS-1000 ordered from ProAudioStar in NY. I should have it by early next week. :) I'm excited!! I'll def post some tips & tricks as I learn them.
By inflict3 Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:17 am
Ill-Green wrote:Made a quick vid of beat making. Something random from the crates.

Dope beats homie!!! :worthy:
By Ill-Green Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:59 am
inflict3 wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:Made a quick vid of beat making. Something random from the crates.

Dope beats homie!!! :worthy:

Inflict! Hiya doing man. Made a couple attempts to contact you but you been ghost. Thanks for the uplift when I was going through the disaster. :worthy:
By inflict3 Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:04 am
No problem homie, was worried about you when shit was going down..yea, I was a ghost around here for a while man, been busy helping the wife run her restaurant.. I still pop in from tie to time and have been around a lot lately..peace homie!!
By inflict3 Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:41 am
Ill-Green wrote:Say word! Thats progress homie. From a pizza stand to a restaurant, yall making big moves. God bless.

Thanks bro!! :smoker:
By chino Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:36 pm
My DJS-1000 was delivered this past Sat. I had a gig but it ended early at 10pm. I was home by 11 and was able to unbox & set up the DJS-1000. I have to co-sign what @TubeDigga & @Ill Green have said about the DJS-1000. It has without a doubt the most fluid, user friendly UI. :nod: :nod: It reminds of a streamlined MC-909/ Maschine/ SP hybrid. It is obviously not as powerful as a MPC Live or my Roland MV8800 but it makes up for it in how much fun it is to use! I literally was playing on it until 5 in the morning. I woke up this afternoon & put another 3 hours in! It's that addicting!!

Calling the DJS-1000 a "DJ Sampler" is an under statement. I get that Pioneer is trying to sell the sampler to it's customer base- DJs. I would better describe the DJs-1000 as a "Live Remix Instrument"!!

Btw, I can confirm that a 128GB Sandisk Ultra fit 3.0 USB flash drive reads & works fine. I had one laying around so I threw some samples on it & tested it out. I will be testing a Samsung 128GB 3.1 USB Fit flash drive later this week too.
By inflict3 Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:41 am
^^^^shit def looks dope, looks like they got the lazy chop on lock...gonna keep checking this beast out..
By Ill-Green Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:21 am
Congrats Chino :smoker:

Haha yeah, its very streamlined. I was gonna go for the Toraiz a year ago but went with the MPC Live instead. The whole time I was contemplating what if I bought the Toraiz. I didn't even know about the DJS' existance until I had money to splurge and was checking out the Toraiz again and was bombarded with the DJS contraversy that was stirred by angry Pioneer fanatics. I thought "a machine everyone hates and is the Toraiz in a CDJ?...Yup, copping it!" I haven't seen the homie Cockdiesel, but it was he who raved about the SP-16 and got me started 8)

The DJS-1000 does have a fanbase. Been looking around and its getting the coverage, kinda slow, but its getting there. Future Music magazine #334 which was just released, puts it through a grueling test. I would love to read it, will download it in a couple days, its $4.99 online. Its seems to be big in Europe. Japan too.

Speaking of Japan, DJ Yamato is sporting a WHITE DJS-1000 and the lettering is in grey :shock: I would love a midnight blue DJS myself but I can't even get a custom skin in the US :?

By chino Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm
[quote Speaking of Japan, DJ Yamato is sporting a WHITE DJS-1000 and the lettering is in grey :shock: I would love a midnight blue DJS myself but I can't even get a custom skin in the US :?

[/quote]

Try 12inchskinz.com. They are real good at customizing DJ & sampler products. :nod:
By Ill-Green Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:25 am
I just sent them an email. I like they do wrap-arounds. But looks like no DJS template right now. Lets see what they say.

Just read Future Music mag, they gave it 9.1 and mentions how it can be a studio piece as well that its undermarketed.
By chino Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm
I can verify that the Samsung 128GB 3.1 USB Fit Flash drive reads & works in my DJS-1000. I formatted it to Fat32, put it in the Pioneer DJS-1000 & a 'Pioneer DJ Sampler' folder was created. Next, I safety removed the USB drive from the Pioneer, & put it back in my Mac to load a bunch of samples from my MV8800. Now I have a 8GB+ sample library that I have collected over the years. The Samsung drive definitely seems faster & is better built than the 128GB 3.0 Sandisk Ultra fit drive. It is also low profile. The link is listed below...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820147718

*Quick Tip*
While previewing your sounds in a selected sample folder PRESS SHIFT & Turn the SCROLL BUTTON to advance to the next sample folder. This feature is very useful if you have a lot of samples in a particular folder but need to browse some samples that are in a different folder. :nod: