Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By hok-2 Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:23 pm
Anyone got any advise on samplers that spread the note better than the S3000i and Mpc2000 I presently use?
I have heard that the earlier models do it better (e.g S900/50) is that true?
But I'm in two minds and am thinking of getting a rackmount synthersizer instead.
Any recomendations on a nice synth around £150 quid?

Peeace.
By tapedeck Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:21 pm
'good' actually might mean crappy in this sense...that's a really hard term to define when it comes to something so subjective and subtle.

on that note, i think emu samplers have some of the most unique sounding interpolation - i got my last emu for $30 (i still think they're worth $150 tho).
By Lampdog Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 pm
ASR10 to me seems to sound the most natural when spread the widest from a single note.
By Ill-Green Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:52 pm
Plus one on the MV8800. Very versatile in turning it into an instrument. Not only that, you can record a short perfomance and sample it to be chopped and processed. I used to play simple stuff like Twinkle Little Star and transform it into something crazy and left field.
By Harmoncj Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:01 pm
hok-2 wrote:I have heard that the earlier models do it better (e.g S900/50) is that true?

the reason you heard that is the s900/950 dont even use interpolation, it simply speeds up/slows down the sample playback without interpolating.
By hok-2 Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:23 pm
Thanks for all the advise people.
Think I'm going to buy a Proteus 2000 rack or a Novation Nova desktop as I just feel a bit weird about buying another sampler when I have two allready (mpc 2000 and S3000) allthough...I did see a
Roland VP-9000 going cheap lately that looked realy cool, but like I say, I think I'd be close to having a irrational sampler addiction if I bought another one :nod:

I think it was a ASR10 that I saw that spread the note realy well, and I'd quite like one of them but I think becouse I just want some aditional chromaticaly pitched instruments to add to my existing setup a synth would be better, same with the Mv:8800 which also look cool, with the resampling and effects.

Many thanks for the advise.
By Lampdog Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 pm
Harmoncj wrote:
hok-2 wrote:..... simply speeds up/slows down the sample playback without interpolating.

Older hardware samplers do this.
By hok-2 Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:35 pm
I bought a Novation KS rack in the end, I thought I may as well save up a bit more money and get some thing with more bells and whistles as they say.

Not sure I made the right choice, what I was mostly after was relatively realistic acuostic and electric piano sounds, it has quite a nice electric piano/rhodes type setting but, not any a real or acoustic sounding ones.
It's still early days and that's just the factory settings so I'm sure digging deeper into the synthesis side of things will prove interesting.
I'm not completely dissapointed with it as I can always sell it if I don't find it usefull.
Probably going to get a Proteus 2000 rack which should take care of my piano needs.

Anyway, I've gone completely off topic.
Peaace.
By Sharris Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:59 pm
I have a Proteus 2000 & really like it. I paid $200 for mine about a year ago (mint condition) & I think it was definitely worth the money. I use the drums to layer with drum breaks & I think it has some good bass sounds. A lot of the sounds seem to mix really well with sounds from vinyl. I'm not 100% sure about the piano sounds, but I wouldn't mind checking tonight when I get home from work. Of course it would just be my opinion, but I can let you know if I think they sound good & realistic. I will say there are a lot of realistic sounds in it tho. Plus it has a ton of effects, filters, just a bunch of ways to manipulate the sounds.

I watched a lot of demos on Youtube prior to buying it & none of them did it justice.

I think the drum hits are a little thin, but because of this they're great for layering.
By Lampdog Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm
Sharris wrote:I have a Proteus 2000 & really like it.

I have a Turbo Phatt with 4 rom sticks (maxed) and love it. After all these years it still bangs.
By hok-2 Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:10 pm
Thanks guys,
Think I'm going to sell this Novation rack and get a Proteus 2ooo and a audio interface with 8 inputs.
Spent £230 on this and just not finding it very usefull at all.

Due to some parts of its complex synthesis there are some notes that are just rendered inauble, I think maybe guys who are into modular synths would like it,
Personally I think it's whack atack.
: ¬ !