Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By richie Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:15 am
Do you have a fan blowing on the right side of it? That thing could be overheating.

I don't know why no one every came out with a modification to make the ASR-10 have an external power supply.
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:39 am
Naw it’s not hot by any means. It froze while I was using it both as a controller and some sounds loaded up on it but wasn’t hot like other asrs I have owned.

Now it stalls at the loading screen from scsi. It’s weird, before it had to warm up a couple minutes or a few times for it to load up right, now it’s turning on like normal but stalling at loading screen.

I will check the fuses this weekend. It has needed some work, but was functional. It was running good for months besides the minor issues.
By richie Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:13 am
If it needs time to get warm, then that is indication of the capacitors age.

It would be fair to say that if the fuses are shot on it, then the machine should not even boot up let alone boot up and freeze later. What about if you booted up without the SCSI drive on, do you still get the same problems?
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:47 am
No it just says insert disk, which I can’t find at the moment. I’m using a scsi to sd card hd emulator.

It communicates between the two but then just stays stuck at the loading system screen.

Something has changed since it froze, can a certain blown fuse lead to the capacitors suddenly to work right?

Now error 129 reboot? Is coming up
By richie Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:17 am
Error 129 is usually a failure when loading the OS. Do you have a backup of the image you have on your sd2scsi on your hard drive that you can try putting back on to the memory card?
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:56 pm
I don’t but I can shoot the guy I got the emulator from an email.

I believe that error came up because I didn’t restart the emulator when I rebooted the machine. Only time I seen it.
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:22 pm
He says that there might be a bad termination resistor in the emulator. I’ll get this sorted out and post either my findings here or in a new thread.

I’m still wondering what caused the machine to just freeze. The way it went down made me think fuse or something.
By golden-era Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:59 pm
Diesel,

Not saying it's necessary yet but if you needed a full blown asr repair keep two names in mind. Soniq and Bruce Forat. Both in Cali. I had mine repaired by Soniq and it was great. There is a bit of a language barrier (strong Asian accent) so email might best. But he was quite affordable. Worst part was shipping the monster Asr. I also believe he worked for Ensoniq and Forat is a master SP12 guru but heard he fixes asr as well.
By richie Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:12 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:He says that there might be a bad termination resistor in the emulator. I’ll get this sorted out and post either my findings here or in a new thread.

I’m still wondering what caused the machine to just freeze. The way it went down made me think fuse or something.

If there is a termination issue, that would cause a fault in loading and saving of data of a SCSI device. So you sort of answered your own question with the first line :)

Is the scsi2sd in an external case?
By Cockdiesel Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:50 pm
I wasn’t doing any saving at the time, took a 30 sec break to mess with something else and it was froze.

Either way he’s sending the resistors and yes it’s external. Overall, it’s a great little box. Only negative I noticed is I have to power it over usb. Got it off eBay from synth plus, excellent customer service so far.