Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Gregor Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:32 pm
Good morning!
I have a little problem with S950 floppy disk: I'd like to backup their contents on my macbook but when I plug my usb floppy reader into the computer it doesn't recognize those disks and the whole peripheral. N.b. This happens ONLY WITH S950 FORMATTED ("normal" 1.44) FLOPPY DISKS (the unit works with other floppies!).
Why? Seems like there is a kind of clash between Mac OSX and 950 floppies...
Thanks for any help... :worthy:
By vout Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 pm
What you are trying to do is not possible directly because Akai disks are formatted differently to Mac or PC/Dos disks and USB floppy drives cannot read formats other than basic PC or Mac (because they do not have disk controllers that can read/write other formats). It is possible to copy Akai disks to older PC's, Macs and Atari computers that have internal floppy drives using the right software but you usually have to jump through hoops to get it working. There's some info about Akai disk formats here -

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/akai/akaiinfo.htm
By Roots Renegade Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:47 pm
To read, write and format disks in AKAI format, you need windows 2000, XP, vista or 7, an internal floppy drive (USB drives will not work) and a software called Omniflop.

It does work, I do it all the time on a WinXP partition.