Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Cockdiesel Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:40 pm
Anyone still using the of these?
Lots of conflicting info I seen on this forum and others. There's one at the pawn shop near me. Base model, powers up but no disk. He's asking $200.00 but it appears to not been moved in ages. Seems to be In great cosmetic shape, just like a decade of dust covering it.

Do you think it's worth checking out? Been trying to find out deal on a sp but for almost 5 grand, I'm not sure it's worth it. I'd just be using it to re sample to get that famous aliasing.
By tapedeck Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:05 pm
from yer story, with nobody knowing much about it, and no real way to test, i'd say that its worth more like $50. he's probably got $50 in it anyway so that's probably the magic number.
i wouldn't try too hard at that price though - you could get a sure thing for $200 somewhere else.
By Cockdiesel Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:30 pm
I told him I'd come back with a disk and if it works ill give him 100. I'll risk the 10 on a os disk. If it boots and doesn't have any other issues they are going for like 500 on ebay, keyboards almost up to a grand. So ill just have to wait and see.

Besides the price any one have any experience with them still around?
There's been some debates, but nothing really in depth about the machine.
By richie Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 pm
The parts inside that thing are worth more than $100 so Cockdiesel you did yourself a good one with that one mane.
By vout Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:00 pm
The Emax 1 is a great sampler - 12-bit and analogue filters, the sound is very similar to an SP1200. Usually if anything goes wrong it is the power supply or disk drives, both pretty easy to fix or replace/upgrade, but there are also some custom chips that are impossible to replace. They are pretty rare now too, in the UK a good condition rack would be worth £6-800 or more. I don't know about prices stateside but I would not hesitate to pay $200 even for a dead one.
By Cockdiesel Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm
Great to hear. I’ll be able to see if the is loads by this weekend. The guy at the pawn shop didn’t really seem to care about the thing.

Really just want to hear how it sounds.
By Cockdiesel Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:30 pm
Checked it out today, everything seems fine so far except the weak output. I’m going to try different cords and the other outputs.

So far I’m pretty impressed. It’s really clunky on the user interface side, but not unworkable by any means.
By richie Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:25 am
What did you end up paying?
By Cockdiesel Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:34 am
125 including the os 3.2 disk.

I ran it through my mixer and it’s fine volume wise. It’s quite the remarkable machine really. Goes from dirty sampling into pretty smooth 80s key groups nicely.

Really like working with it so far.
By richie Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:00 am
That sounds good then man.

But listen, I'll give you $135 for it. Instant $10 profit.