Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By golden-era Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:01 pm
Can any asr users recommend a modern storage solution for an asr-10 with a scsi? I am still using floppies and I realize this is a bit ridiculous.

I am not looking to transfer wavs or anything, I just mean to save instruments, banks, sequences etc. Instead of on floppies. I see mpcstorage offers some c.f. card readers but no idea.

Thanks for any recommendations.
By Cockdiesel Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 pm
If you’re on floppies get a scsi to sd hd emulator. I found one on eBay from synth plus, but I’d you look around there might be better options.

I really like the scsi to sd but wish mine was bus powered like other devices I have seen. It’s just one usb cord, but it is the only negative so far.

I had an issue with a resistor in the one I had but synth plus has excellent customer service.

Scsi is where you want to be. The speed is no comparison to floppy.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Ensoniq-ASR-10-S ... 2619005537

It’s expensive, so look around for better deals. I just wanted to give you some sort of reference.
By golden-era Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:48 pm
Diesel,

Thanks for the response, any reason you like this over a C.F. reader like mpcstorage sells? For a frame of reference. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENSONIQ-ASR-10-SCSI-CF-FLASH-CARD-READER-WRITE-DRIVE-ASR10-INCLUDES-2GB-CF-CARD/162811057943?hash=item25e84b9717:g:q-UAAOSwbCpZdh3s

These seem to be the craze with MPC2000xls around here so i figured a hot/non hot swappable CF would be a good choice? Any thoughts?
By Cockdiesel Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 pm
It’s seems to be the same concept, just with cf card. I know people have preferences between either sd or cf but I don’t think it’s the biggest deal. I noticed it has two scsi ports, so if you have other scsi instruments it may be a way better pick.

I’m not the most knowledgeable about scsi and it’s hardware but I will say theses a night/day difference between using it vs the floppy disk.
There may be something I’m overlooking but I think it’s a solid choice. If I recall right I chose the sd card reader because it was a little cheaper, that’s all.

My sd card reader is just a little smaller, and silent. There’s only a small led light to let you know it’s communicating when it does. The drive you showed may or may not be as silent. This may or may not be an issue for you.

I’d say go for it. Unless someone else knows something I don’t.
By richie Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:02 am
The SCSI PCMCIA card reader that mpcstoragesolution is straight to the point, it works.

The advantage of the newer scsi2sd is that it is far more configurable. You can populate up to 5 scsi ids at the same time, so 5x the available storage, does not require external power and again it is highly configurable. For example, you can take an iso image of an Ensoniq sample disk and assign it to whatever SCSI id you want, not requiring you to actually have a CD-ROM hooked up. You'd be best pressed to actually google scsi2sd so you can see the list of options.

You can also daisy chain it to other SCSI devices. So suppose you want the ASR-10 to only use 2 emulated/virtual drives, and have 3 other ids that can be assigned to other samplers, that can be done just fine.
By amenphetamine Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:32 pm
richie wrote:You can populate up to 5 scsi ids at the same time, so 5x the available storage, does not require external power and again it is highly configurable.

ASR-10 SCSI doesn't supply termination power, so you'll need to provide some power supply for it.
I've put mine internally in place of FDD and feeding it from it's connector. Couldn't be happier :smoker:
By Roots Renegade Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:24 am
I recommend SCSI2SD V5.

Next question is: internal mod or external?

Two things to keep in mind:

• Ensoniq samplers do NOT supply termination power.

• To use a SCSI drive (SCSI2SD), you need to format it first. To have the “Format SCSI Drive” command available on the Ensoniq samplers, you need to boot the machine using the floppy drive (storage device). Otherwise, it will not even show up in the options. In other words, you need a floppy drive to get the OS to the SCSI (SCSI2SD) drive.

Personally, I have an EPS16-Plus and an ASR-10, both rack versions. I decided to build an external enclosure, here’s why:

• I wouldn’t mess (tap the power) with the internals of my Ensoniq samplers, I want them to be as cool and stable as possible.

• I wouldn’t replace the floppy drives (HxC SD card emulators in my case) with a SCSI2SD because I want to keep all options available. Otherwise the second you need to format a SCSI device or partition it could become a problem where the only solution is to reinstall a floppy drive. It’s good to keep a separate physical OS backup anyway.

• I don’t want to buy a SCSI2SD for each of my samplers. The V5 version gives me access to 4 SCSI IDs, emulating 4 SCSI drives. The external enclosure I decided to build has 2 Centronics 50 pin connectors, one for each Ensoniq sampler.
By richie Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:17 am
I agree with Roots, external. But my reasoning behind external beyond not wanting to open the machine is that I can daisy chain it to utilize my other samplers as well.

I have enough SCSI enclosures and termination adapters to resolve situations like that. Some of you need to do the right thing and gear up, monoprice has both cables and terminators ready. Alternatively, if you don't have termination adapters, you could use a zip drive to provide the termination you need.

Also, don't bother with the Artemix new SCSI joint they got going on. The guy literally just took the scsi2sd software and made his own version of the board. So it provides no technological advantage to using his.
By golden-era Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:08 am
Guys,

Bumping this thread. So I am down to my last floppies for my ASR 10 lol.

So I have a SCSI compatable ASR-10 and I am not the most tech savvy guy. Can anyone tell me the easiest and most cost effective way for me to modernize storage on the ASR?

I just want to be able to plug it all in turn the ASR on and be able to make beats and save stuff.

I am not too interested in formatting stuff unless it is pretty easy. I certainly am not looko ng to install an internal device etc.

Do any scsi or modern storage solutions work with various O.S. for the ASR?? Say below 3.53?

Thanks alot fellas.