Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Psyre Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:11 am
Hey,

I have read in multiple places, including the manual, that the S2000 can load S900 floppies. Is that so? When attempting to load my s900 programs the S2000 says "No Disk!"

Both machines are equipped with HXC floppy emulators. The floppies images for the S900 have been made under S900 OS4. The S2000 boots from OS2.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
By richie Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:26 am
I'm quite sure the S series samplers can load S900 and S950 images. I've done it on the S3000XL and S1000, and had a message like "unscrambling" or something to that effect before the sounds would be available for use.

The only thing that comes to mind is if the S900 OS4 images had the "sample compression" flag enabled, which I believe could have an impact on compatibility. Have you tried loading S900 images that were created prior to OS4?
By Psyre Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:13 am
I did try to load pre OS 4, as I noticed that sample compression was on. Still read "NO DISK!"

I'm starting to thunk maybe it's due to HXC floppy image emulation file types. Like the gotek itself can't differentiate between the .hfe image differences like a real floppy Drive could? :hmmm:
By richie Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:50 am
Do you happen to own a S900 as well?
By Psyre Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:31 am
Yes, I also own an S900 with HXC Gotek. The programs i'm attempting to load are programs I've made, including test programs.

I think it's an HXC/Gotek limitation.
By richie Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:43 am
Could you explain how you transferred the .hfe files over?
- Did you backup the .hfe files from the S900 USB on your computer and then copy the images over to the S2000 USB?
- Or were you simply plugging in the S900 USB into the S2000's Gotek and trying to load that way?

Reason why I'm asking (correct me if I'm wrong) but I thought the hxc USB's had a .cfg file in them that had parameters (beyond the dip pins) specific to each sampler/device? By logic, since the images created on the hxc compatible drives are just sector/ track dumps, loading them on another device should be the same as if you were using floppy disks anyway right?

One other thing not totally related -- The ironic part is that 30 minutes before I read your first post, I had brought ALL of my rack samplers into temporary storage, otherwise I would have been able to re-test different scenarios for you. :lol:
By Psyre Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:16 pm
Ahhh drats, that sort of timing has been my past couple weeks haha
Thank you so much for the time/help btw.

Good point about the .cfg files. My testing may not have accounted for that, best I can recall. I'm pretty sure it was all various attempts at bulk copying, or transferring blank s2000 made .hfe into s900 .cfg equipped and S900 images into s2000 equipped .cfg scenarios.

I may need to run back out to my collaborators today or tomorrow (where they are) and test. I'll report back!

What I'll be attempting, just to be sure I have this right, is:
1. record sample into s900. Save without compression.

2. Replace the s2000 .hfe file (in functioning s2000 usb) with the newly created s900 .hfe

3. Insert s2000 usb into unit and "load <disk <floppy" on properly numbered HXC image.

4. Hopefully see the s900 read only/format message and NOT "NO Disk!"
By Psyre Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:25 pm
I attempted the above process, making sure the proper config files were on their respective flash drives. I also tried new samples with the compression off as well as without loading OS4. It just can't detect the DD formatted .hfe file. I'm thinking I won't be able to use the S2000 as I intended as a means to import and time stretch my s900 samples. Really a shame.
By richie Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:30 am
One other thing to also try is to sample without being booted into OS4, so just the default system 1.2 which (correct me if I'm wrong here) I believe did not have sample compression as a part of the OS in the first place.

I believe I remember there was also an unintended cool effect where if I sampled on the S900, kept cutting the sample rate down which also meant we lost frequency on the high end and then loaded it on the S3000XL, much of that frequency data reappeared and sounded similar to ring modulation. But before I continue to talk about this, I need to verify this again so I don't sound like a total idiot here.
By tapedeck Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 pm
richie wrote:I believe I remember there was also an unintended cool effect where if I sampled on the S900, kept cutting the sample rate down which also meant we lost frequency on the high end and then loaded it on the S3000XL, much of that frequency data reappeared and sounded similar to ring modulation. But before I continue to talk about this, I need to verify this again so I don't sound like a total idiot here.

sounds like sample rate reduction without an anti-aliasing filter.
definitely a cool effect :mrgreen:
By Spod Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:36 pm
I'm wanting to do exactly this, anyone ever have any luck? Want to confirm it can work before updating my s2000 with a gotek to match my s900
By wavemartian Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:11 am
There is a convoluted workaround, but it does work. You require two utilities, "Akai S9 HFE & IMG Sample Extractor v0.1", and the"Akai S9 to HFE & IMG v0.6" they are freely available on the web. Ok so what I did was take out the usb from my s900, insert in computer, and save file to desktop. I extracted the samples, and then made a program with the akai s9 to hfe converter, but make sure to choose s950 to hfe conversion. You can batch convert so doesn't take too much time to do. Also i did this so I can use those s900 programs on my s3200xl.

Mmmm, ok, loading the usb to the s3200xl, it can see the program and samples, but fails on load, back to do more experiements.