Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By E Koch Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:00 pm
I've been trying to fit my Akai 1100 with a zip drive with no success. The unit will freeze waiting for the hard drive to respond on start up if it is connected. I'm confident the problem is on the "interface" SCSI board as the heads won't park. I found a low resistance on the board between the 5v rail and ground, about 30 ohms. The short goes away when I remove the 2x 300 ohm resistor networks..odd. Maybe I am not understanding how resistor networks work.

Initially I was assuming the "SCSI fuse" was blown, but can't locate any such fuse, like a small IC protector in the S1000 and MPCs. I also was getting good readings on the power pin of the chip on the SCSI board. I could also see a clock signal produced by the chip on my scope. I opted to replace this chip to see if it will make any difference. It seems like Akai just never released a schematic for this model..sigh. Anyone have experience repairing this board or S1100 in general?