Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By 3K. Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:46 pm
Hey there fellow S950 inmates, I couldn't find a general thread on unspecific S950 Q&A, so please don't mind me opening one …

Been using my S950 for a few weeks only, as my recent LED display change and Gotek USB/FlashFloppy upgrade brought it to use … after years of just looking nice in the rack. How do I convert the given duration of a loop of xx.xxx Samples to any other time unit?

Tx!
By Harmoncj Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:12 am
3K. wrote:How do I convert the given duration of a loop of xx.xxx Samples to any other time unit?

depends on the "bandwidth" setting you sampled at
the bandwidth x 2.5 = sample rate (if I remember it correctly)
1 whole sample rates worth of samples = 1 second.

so if you sampled a "bandwidth" o 10000, your sample rate is actually 25000, which makes loop length of 25000 samples turns out to be 1 second of sound at the root key (no pitch alteration).
By 3K. Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 pm
Thanks @Harmoncj and @peterpiper for shedding light on this! I could reproduce that, so for the record, briefly put the equation is:
(bandwith * 2.5)/duration = sample length [in secs].
… where bandwith is the bandwith the sample has been recorded with;
… duration = (end point - start point) the number shown in.
peterpiper wrote:Experiment and use your ears.

Yes Sir, just what I'm practicing anew on every new track. One night, I had been extremely puzzled by two loops, which should've fit together (according to the musical calculator I employ since the early 2000s), but did not according to my ears. Using my MPC3000 (mainly) as the main sequencer (without additional Computer) was all ears and experimentation already, as basic as I could imagine way back. Now the S950 is providing me with an even more basic approach, which is fun.