Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:03 am
Aight guys.
I wanna know how you would rock an asr 10 with some extra rackmounts. I’m talking would you record into the sound card first and post process the stuff with rack mount or make an elaborate patch and record that into the sound card.

I have a few analog filters, some effects and a hardware compressor. Some stereo most mono.

What’s the proper way to process a drum buss with mono Comp and channel strip?

Can an effects track be strictly mono?

Can any of this be properly stereoized with use of stereo filters| channel strips?

Have you run into any issue running mono effects into stereo effects?
By Wormhelmet Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:25 am
Myself it would be an elaborate patch and into the sound card. Just leave room in recording for tails. Rack fx usually have a bypass to A/B sound test, but those asr 10’s got some great fx built in. You can use a stereo chorus or delay with effect set pretty subtly to split mono to stereo if needed, but drum sounds are geared for mono with great results. Use panning in moderate amounts on toms and cymbals to get more of a live kit feel.

If you use a DAW and like fx at the DAW mix level, dry tracks in offer more flexibility (either as you say - out again to use rack fx processors, or use plugin fx in the DAW)

I use fx sends a lot. Same control as dry track out into plugin. Comp on bass drum I do pre-master. You can use comp again on master once you have the whole mix in there more as a finalized mixdown.

I think different people are gonna have different opinions on bass whether stereo or mono. A lot of audio playback equipment will sum certain frequencies to mono at crossover level for subs anyway. Some panning can be a kicker though. Rolling a 30 Hz note left to right at really loud volumes can be a body bender (stereo subs in a small vehicle - damn)
By Wormhelmet Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:45 am
I know you got some good advice on mixing techniques in another thread, but was going to add that if you lack a treated room ideal for mixing, you can get better mix results by using visual spectrum analyzers or just evaluating on as much diverse media s possible. Listen with headphones, regular stereo system, in your car, with cheap PC speakers, etc.

I found my mixes improving by listening over the different playback sources and taking notes on my mix and what needed fixing, then go back and fix and listen again until it sounds good on all playback sources. Tedious, but worth it.

I used to use a pair of Alesis M1 Active MKII’s to mix with for nearfields but found my mixes all coming out bass heavy as I tried to compensate for a room not setup ideally.

Got the sub and it helped immensely, but even more help before the sub was listening on the different media

I used my friends for finding different diverse playback sources. How does it sound on your system and how does it sound to them and you on their system. One of those things. Forces some feedback from them too.

:lol:
By Sharris Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:47 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:I found my mixes improving by listening over the different playback sources and taking notes on my mix and what needed fixing, then go back and fix and listen again until it sounds good on all playback sources. Tedious, but worth it.

Me too, a big improvement in my mixes. I don't have a treated room (I'm letting my brother stay with me & he took my studio, so all my gear is in my dining/living room). When recording my beats I listen on my speakers & 2 different headphones. I've been using the same speakers for around 3 years now, plus I've had both headphones for a while, which makes a big difference (knowing how they affect the sound). All 3 sources are really different too, which helps. For example, my speakers lack bass, but 1 set of headphones brings out the bass. So after listening with speakers, I check with the bass heavy headphones to make sure I didn't pump the bass up too much. The 2nd pair of headphones really shows when something is too loud & they bring out all the imperfections, so they really help me dial things in. I try to also listen to my beats in my brothers car, he has a decent sound system (2 12's in the trunk & extra tweeters in the front). Since doing this my mixes have gotten better & better.
By Wormhelmet Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:07 am
Nice. I found it effective if you aren’t used to using spectrum analyzers to fine tune your mix also. Which definitely was where I was at in my early mixes.

Sorry I could answer more directly on the questions, but mono effects to stereo I haven’t had issue with and find myself to be more useful with a limiter than compressor on bass tracks. Whether drum or synth bass. I try to keep in mind additive frequencies as I usually will create drum tracks and bass tracks first before working other parts in so I have to keep the bass toned down until I hear final tracks with other sounds that might have some bass frequencies in them. Then I can ease up a limiter or increase it or compress it or whatever adjustments I need for final balanced mix.

One of these days a proper treated room and get the most out of flat response nearfields, but for now, my poor man’s array of playback media works pretty decent.

I’m sure someone with more experience on the questions will add to the thread.