Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Quentin Falzon Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:42 am
Hi everybody,

I recently procured an Akai S3200. Screen needs replacement as the backlight is original and has completely died since when it was released in the '90s.

First question - any tips/resources for changing the screen? What to watch out for? Never done this process before so not sure how delicate the matter is.

Second question - the sampler came with a floppy disk saying "Akai OS 2.0". When the S3200 boots up without floppy disk it says that it's running OS version 1.50. I presume the idea is to boot from floppy disk in order to use OS 2.0. However, considering that floppy disks do not last forever and can die of the "click of death", is it possible to permanently flash the S3200 so its onboard OS gets upgraded from 1.50 to 2.0?

Thanks in advance! :worthy:
By wavejockey Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:31 am
you can't flash the memory but you can "export" the OS to a disk/storage (other than the floppy) so next time it boots, it loads the (newer) OS automatically
(works with a floppy too)

you can buy a new EPROM with the 2.0 OS on it on ebay for a few tenners

i changed the screen in my S3200 too, to LED works pretty well now
(bought it on the bay too)

this type: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155660590674 ... R9Ck5O-iYw