Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ekl1p5e Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:21 am
How does it stack up against a DRM-1mkII, DMPro, or ADX-1 as far as editing possibilities?

By sleepersriddle Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:14 am
I don't know the middle one you mentioned....

but the MachineDrum has way more editable parameters and types of sound than the vermona or mam.

and it has global delays, compression, effects, and filters which the other ones don't.

And it is a sequencer/drumsynth, not just a drumsynth.

On the other hand, it is pure digital. If you NEED the analog sound, get an analog machine.

Machinedrum's sound is super tight, super punchy, crisp and snappy... it is very modern sounding for the most part. Check the online sound demos, although they are not that great, but you can hear the type of tone it gives.

There aint nothing else that sounds like the MD.

By Yoshimi Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:05 pm
If you want a few analog drums, then get a jomox or the vermona. If you wants a drum machine where you can turn a cowbell into a bass line...or a hihat into a snare ...or can make most drum sounds not sound like drums...all the while being able to create most regular drum sounds that you need...get the machinedrum. I'll say it again. It is the most extensive drum machine on the market by far.

By arctec Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:32 am
the elektron machinedrum is the best modern drum machine. period. It is digital. period. the fact that it now has sampling capabilites means that peeps may try to mistake it for an mpc or asr or whatever. it is not any of those. it is an instrument on its own. and it is a fantastic instrument. It is made to create rhythm patterns from a wide variety of synthesis techniques and samples. every sound is malleable beyond belief. the sequencer is step programming at it's best. it is fully midi controllable, and can control other midi equipment. everything that it can do can be done in real time - whilst the sequencer is running! it is built like a tank. It's the DBs :D

By Yoshimi Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:34 am
arctec wrote: every sound is malleable beyond belief. the sequencer is step programming at it's best. it is fully midi controllable, and can control other midi equipment. everything that it can do can be done in real time - whilst the sequencer is running! it is built like a tank.

Yep, this is truth.

By sleepersriddle Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:09 am
i luv mine, and certainly it has become the backbone of my trax

that won't stop me from getting a jomox 999 eventually, to go with it.

analog drums have a certain vibe i likes.

By arctec Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:09 pm
the machinedrum teams up well alongside a jomox xbase 09. you'll love the combo.

By sleepersriddle Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:17 am
i know...

mpc1k, dsi evo, fr revo, sps-1 and 999....

that's my dream plan for dirty techno.
and I'm 4/5 of the way there
:twisted: :twisted:

By punkdISCO Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:36 am
sleepersriddle wrote:analog drums have a certain vibe i likes.

Yep.. Once you have used analogue drums you will always find it hard to go back to samples. Im a long term Jomox user and previously 808/SP12Turbo and I could never use anything else for core drum sounds..

By Yoshimi Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:23 am
I like digital drums as well... and have used analog. I guess I'm not an analog snob though.

By punkdISCO Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:39 am
Yoshimi wrote:I like digital drums as well... and have used analog. I guess I'm not an analog snob though.

For sure dude.. When I say 'core' drums I mean kick, snare, hats, clap, rim (basically, all the stuff inside my Airbase). In addittion to this I also use samples for bells and whistles..

By Yoshimi Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:27 pm
punkdISCO wrote:
Yoshimi wrote:I like digital drums as well... and have used analog. I guess I'm not an analog snob though.

For sure dude.. When I say 'core' drums I mean kick, snare, hats, clap, rim (basically, all the stuff inside my Airbase). In addittion to this I also use samples for bells and whistles..

I even like digital drums for core drums. However, I'm still in the experimental styage with my sound...so I really don't have a sound.

By sleepersriddle Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:10 pm
i could totally see digital being good for 'core' sounds too...

its partly a question of musical influences. as a big detroit/older techno guy, my heart belongs to the analog drumsound; so i get especially excited by newer machines that still got that 'soul'.

but i like how my md can sound like nintendo drums (but on steroids and made of titanium).. .that can definitely make for a cool style too.

By distortedtekno Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:10 am
I've been kicking the idea around about whether to buy the MahineDrum since the SPS-1 first hit the market. Since the SPS-1UW came out this year, I'm seriously considering it now. I feel that it would best suit my production along side my MPC. I've owned the SidStation for the past 5 months and the MachineDrum would accompany this synth perfectly. Right now, this would top my list of what I'd like to add to my setup. No doubt about it.

By arctec Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:05 am
*Although* the MD is a digital synth, it's sounds are really something. It's the amount of control that you have over them that is so good about it. And the power of the sequencer also. I often approach my MD as a percussion module rather than a drum module, as like a few others here, I use the Jomox for kiks and snares and so on. The MD is such a good complement to the other drum boxes out there (MPC, Jomox etc). It kinda takes what you can already do and adds to it ten times over - adding a whole new palette of sounds and controllabilty. And it is so much FUN to play :-)