Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By BEATPROFESSOR Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:18 pm
Im just wondering why so much people are in love with the sp1200 and it still being sold for big prices on ebay.

By Deta!L Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:22 pm
because they are rare and the sound is HUGE

By Antonym Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:38 pm
sounds great, but it can be emulated close enough for comfort

www.ebay.com

By jonathan morris Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:11 pm
i want one!

By d_loc Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:13 pm
what is good for emulating that old type sound, all the bit crushers I have used (including the MPC 1000 and Battery) just turn things into trash.

By Antonym Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:41 pm
sp404's lofi sounds nice...not the same thing but it's in the same family of noise, but i wouldn't apply it to kick drums or hats...only cyms and snares.

sampletrack apparently sounds nice too

sampling your records at 45 and then slowing them down also puts you in the right direction...then apply the hyperprism sonic decimator

there are a bunch of tricks, and it takes a lot of fine tuning. i've learned you can't expect the exact sound, and in most cases, you don't need it...it just needs to sound crispy and shiny.

that's all i want.

By Deta!L Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:49 pm
well you people want to emulate(imitate?) the sound and that's what keeps the value high...oh, what made that sound? Sp1200----->straight to ebay to check on 1200's.

I'm gonna get one eventually, maybe soon actually, because I'm a fan of classic drum machines and have to have one in my stash...but one things for sure, you can't emulate those sliders looking mean as hell in someones setup! haha
Last edited by Deta!L on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Something Like That Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:49 pm
or....

you could save $4 a day for a whole year and then just buy yourself a SP with cash and have money left over to get some Meters records for drum kits :D

By Deta!L Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:54 pm
haha, sounds like my dad...and the reason I don't have credit cards

you know, instead of financing that car for $300 a month, save 300 a month and you'll have the car interest free

By Something Like That Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:04 pm
word up. I had to learn things the hard way. Put a lot of sh*t on credit cards and went through a lot of unnecessary pressure...thank god for student loans though. Paid off my credit debt with my student loans and got a complete studio now....
By BassLINE Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:06 am
BEATPROFESSOR wrote:Im just wondering why so much people are in love with the sp1200 and it still being sold for big prices on ebay.

Because like most classics it is overrated (adding $300-$400 to the value that it should be) by those selling them and those who wish to buy them.

The mis-informed feel like they need to have certain gear for their music to sound like it did in the 80's, early 90's. What they fail to realize is that a sampler will only do so much for you (not to mention the fact that we're now in 2006).

By switch18 Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:08 am
The SP1200 is really magic. It's hard to beat. You can get pretty close with certain techniques on the MPC, but that requires some work. With the SP its sample in and...let the crunch, grit, boom begin.

By Something Like That Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:39 am
yep, I agree. Its something you have to experience to understand and appreciate. I always liked the sound but never understood it until I got one. I've never messed with any of those digital bit crushers and other software but it seems like it would be much easier to just to save money and lost efforts and buy a SP1200. I always compare mine to the S950s changable sample rate and the 60 but its got an entire different flavor... plus you don't "have" to keep it forever. You can just sample all the sounds you want into it, put them on a zip and move on with your life.