Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.

By BEATPROFESSOR Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:58 pm
thegreatmuffin wrote:Actually, it is not that strange if you think of it. If you sample a lot than using Battery could pretty much do the trick. With the right audio interface and a couple of nice pre amps or analog mixing desk or... Hell why not both. Where I'm heading to?

Well, rework the sh!t, route it through your audio interface to the mixing desk, into one or more valve preamps, add some outboard effects if you like and back and get it all as one stereotrack back into your computer. Burn that on a disc and you should have a nice sounding cd :D

yup, btw holland represented

If you do it right, that is...

By switch18 Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:30 pm
thegreatmuffin wrote:Actually, it is not that strange if you think of it. If you sample a lot than using Battery could pretty much do the trick. With the right audio interface and a couple of nice pre amps or analog mixing desk or... Hell why not both. Where I'm heading to?

Well, rework the sh!t, route it through your audio interface to the mixing desk, into one or more valve preamps, add some outboard effects if you like and back and get it all as one stereotrack back into your computer. Burn that on a disc and you should have a nice sounding cd :D

If you do it right, that is...

I agree. The computer still is a great tool for sound editing, manipulation,etc. I'm not a purist. I don't mind working inside the computer at all.

By Chapped Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:39 am
What I don't understand is.. why doesn't EMU or anybody just remake or reissue the sp1200 :evil: it's very well known that the SP sound is heavily in demand. they would make a killing$$$ don't they want to make money??

can you imagine if EMU released a new drum machine using old & New technology 8) a sp1200 that takes compact flash cards :shock:

By Antonym Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:42 am
they're PROBABLY try to make it 16 bit though....which would suck

plus i think the actual mechanics of it are outdated and out of production...what a sad thing. god i love this machine's sound.

By aliengroover Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:56 am
True, they can't get the parts/they're too expensive to make. Same with lots of old gear like that. Truth is, in a way, the SP1200 for the modern age has already been made. A gentleman at EMU was intent on getting a new SP1200 off the ground. He was told, no way, no how, was it happening. So, he went to Akai, and thus the original MPC2000 was born.

Here's the story (from Sound On Sound), in case you're not aware of it:

"In the early '90s, Marco Alpert proposed an 'SP1600' using first the sampling engine from the Emax II, and then the one from the ESI32 sampler. Product concepts were drawn up, but they were never approved. The new attitude that pervaded Emu was to build low-cost modules and achieve massive revenues. Marco took the idea (and his job) to Akai, and launched the hugely successful MPC2000 instead."

Thank you Mr. Alpert, and no thank you EMU.
Peace

By 2wice Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:15 am
Yeah I wouldn't think they would sell too many. Seems like theres allways a 1200 for sale for someone who wants one anyway.