Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.

By renegadebliss Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:44 am
konc3pt wrote:for some strange reason I always thought mv was capable of 24 bit audio, maybe cus it was always compared to 4k...but damn

It is :)

See what they do.

This is what the samples are at:
Audio Data Format 16-bit linear

Sampling Frequency 44.1 kHz (fixed)

and

this is what the Audio is at:
Signal Processing AD Conversion: 24 bits, 64 times oversampling / DA Conversion: 24 bits, 128 times oversampling

So the output is 24bit/44.1khz, but playing 16bit/44.1khz samples...

:)

Dave

By moyphee Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:54 am
Unless you a have 24 bit sample source or an analog source with very broad DR employing 24bit resolution at the input stage is only cosmetic. The 16/44.1 makes perfect sense. Only a few guys on any machine have input sources that need that kind of dynamic range. If your lifting from vynil, CDs, common line sources,or 24bit just looks good on paper. Just as import- if you don't have the final end source that is 24bit or better - the dynamic range benefits are nullified.

The improvements under the hood are pretty nice-IMO. This is from M.Acosta at Roland gave the guys at MV-nation the full specs. I liked what I read.

The new MV-8800 features :

Built in VGA card with mouse capabilities stock.
Full on-board color screen
New internal HD for some improved load times on projects and saving
Auto Zero Cross on sample editing in patch mode
Fade In & Fade Out on sample editing from the Sample Manager
Exportable MFX Analog Bass Synth Patchs , great for online trading and swaping
Exportable Audio Phrase Banks ( just like patchs ) you can swap phrase banks online and will allow for future downloadable loops and content.
Up to 500 patterns per project in Pattern Mode
Selectable projects upon boot-up via the F5 button
Automatically boots into Pattern Mode
Dedicated Pattern & Song Buttons on the front panel
Pattern Play mode now allows for playing of Audio Phrases on top of patterns in REAL-TIME.
Pattern Track now allows for Real-Time recording including input quantize while playing the pads which trigger patterns. Only step-rec was available on the Pattern Track.

Also includes over 400MB of sounds

Over 50 new drum kits
Plus a special Vintage Collection which includes tons of classic drum machines from the 80's & 90's
( this does not include whatever was offered as FREE downloads for the MV-8000 ) ALL NEW STUFF

Retail $2695

Street $2295

It's the same price as the old unit and price very close to the 2500. New MV buyers are in pretty damn good shape. I won't sell my 4k but i may trade my MV-8k because I hate that green screen and don't like lugging around a monitor from room to room.

By earwolf Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:45 pm
looks lame

size of a tank

spec upgrades gone in all the wrong places

optical drives are relic in 2007

five bucks says even with all the whizz bang this donkey STILL wont keep clockwork timing

if i may use a turntable analogy...mpc's are technics1200, this is some janky vestax or numark effort that goes into reverse when your phone rings

By n3rdi3st Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:24 pm
I would say the older mpc's like the 60, 3000, and 2000 are technics 1200. Anything that was made after is by Numark.

By drumtrack Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:14 pm
so they add colors and a few new sounds and call it a day? oh and they changed a zero into an eight too!! WHOOAAAH!! :shock:

By c.toon Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:07 pm
wow its even uglier than the last one :D

By moyphee Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:07 pm
I think extending the life of an existing unit is actually better than chopping down models several times to sell to anyone with a dime to spend. This unit along with software competitors have brought in a new era. Akai is no longer the only option around. in fact, it's not even the best sampling option.

If anyone was familiar with the last OS update it would be apparent that these internal updates are quite substantial.

I have yet to hear from Akai on extending the life of my 4K. The machine is capable much better functionality yet it's been damn near abandoned. Akai under the ownership of and Grande Holdings is in the business of squeezing the life troubled companies.

* looks lame - no more than the juvenile paint job on my 4K
* size of a tank - and you think the 4K is small !
* spec upgrades gone in all the wrong places - matter of opinion
* optical drives are relic in 2007 - removable ,cheap, functional.
* STILL wont keep clockwork timing - there was never any problem with the timing,only severe misunderstanding of the PPQN resolution. If stiff resolution at 96ppqn are what your used to,recording at 480ppqn will pick up more of the players timing details than needed. Simply too much information is recorded. This is the case with any sequencer.

I'm simply not loyal to any one company because none of them are loyal to me , the customer.

By adrian Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:09 pm
MV still only has 2 midi outputs. No ADAT option. 40 GB HDD? I thought Roland would come out with something more. just a color screen? :roll:

By 6figgas Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:18 pm
Ok, so what did Akai drop at NAMM?

By SonicLabsAudio Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:28 pm
well i just watched the video on the roland site and it seems to be nothing people were waiting for. Some new efx and a color screen is the only thing i see. I owned a mv and dint like it and i dont see any reason to try it again. I will wait to see what akai does and then may just stick with current gear if nobody is going to release anything good.

By Cap_Ill Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:40 pm
if they ever get these figured out i would love to own one.

just watching it used with the monitor looks so dope to me.

seems like an all in one unit for sure.

By SonicLabsAudio Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:48 pm
cap the main issuse was the slow slow graphix waveform rendering on the screen. it was like working on a very slow cpu. the video showed this one loading faster but could of just been camera tricks.

By indivisibleProductions Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:31 pm
that's it? nothing too special IMO.......how much for it? man, for that price you can get a korgpadkontrol or mpd 24.........ableton live 6.....a decent audio interface........a decent laptop with dual core.........some plugins.....and still have money for records.

same thing for a 2500 or a 4000

By mike roca Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:20 am
i think it's gonna be pretty tight. i like the idea of being able to see the placement of the nots on a screen and an all in one unit would be nice. of course i love my mpc, and i would never trade it in, but using them both side by side would surely be fun.

By Lone Soulja Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:35 am
c.toon wrote:wow its even uglier than the last one :D

*cough*MV>MPC*cough*

Not to start anything, but overall the MV is superior to the MPC. Both have great features and both have downsides, but to me the MV is much easier to work on and has more benefits. You can say all you want about bad timming and what not, but I could list just as many MPC problems.

Granted this is a MPC forum and I will most likely get yelled at for this, but to me Roland has really stepped up their game. Updates come regularly, videos, friendly support, where as Akai rarely ever updates and has horrible support, and owners of MPCs are very stubborn with the gear they use and to anyone with a question.

It's time for Akai to get back to par. I use both everyday and there are great things on the MPC, but to me the MV wins it. Call it personal preference or whatever, it's just the way I feel. You may have your opinion, but don't talk badly about about a product if you have never sat down with it, set it up in your set up, and got down with it for a couple of months.

At the end of the day, gear is gear and what fits you best is only up to you. But if your going to compare the price range of the MV-8000 & MV-8800 to the MPC in that range (MPC 2500, and even the 4000), the MV wins it by far.