Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By tbiggz Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:19 pm
So psychoacoustically, we agree that what you see is not necessarily what you hear. That's a fact.

That you don't think it plays a significant part is unverified (i.e. opinion).

And... more significant is that you use your ears (not your eyes) to finally qualify the result. That ordering is significant. Wouldn't you agree that a "good" decision will rely most significantly on the most deterministic test?

I can't say I get much for your undisclosed check (but I appreciate the try).

Basically, I say use the EXACT same drum source, but just chop them visually (and only visually). And then, SAVE over top of your song. According to the assumption about "chopped deaf", it shouldn't make a difference, since you can perfectly chop either way, and you're sure you always "chop to the transient".

If you can do that, then I'd say "hat's off" and you're probably right.
By dtaa pla muk Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:18 am
i'll perform this test, chopping first completely deaf, and repeating it using scrub+waveform. i'll post both sequences unattributed in a single wave file, including a spoiler as to which is which. midi notation will be the same, i'll simply swap programs between the different chopped sample.

i stand fully behind the opinion that said psychoacoustics would impair the deaf chopper so infrequently that it's of little concern - ie in a handful of breaks it's unlikely you'll run across one. at least (especially) the kind of breaks from which i get my drums.
By tbiggz Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:55 pm
Sounds good.

I would simply ask that for the control case, use a beat that contains your absolute favorite drums. Something you've finished and would release.

If you can replace all the hits with the "chopped deaf" versions, and can live with them, then you're talking a real test.

Throw-away examples are just that.
By Ldizzy Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:23 am
how the **** would u want to juge of textures...
By tbiggz Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:19 pm
how the **** would u want to juge of textures...

I'm not sure what you're sayin here.
By Ldizzy Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:43 am
im sayin.. if u cut ur shit ''deaf'' ... how can u know how it actually sounds... anyone who puts a certain emphasis on textures in beats.. just.. couldnt do stuff deaf... they could do it blindly tho
By d_loc Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:11 am
why bother to listen to the files, if we could look at them and pick which one was best chopped that way.

a joke
By deegood Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:53 am
this is getting outta control!!!!!!!!!!!! just stop it !!!!!

By Lampdog Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:50 pm
deegood wrote:this is getting outta control!!!!!!!!!!!! just stop it !!!!!

It really is.

Re:

By mindcontrol Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:13 pm
Lampdog wrote:
deegood wrote:this is getting outta control!!!!!!!!!!!! just stop it !!!!!

It really is.

this is on some intellectual tip
By deegood Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:06 pm
this is on some intellectual tip
really? sounds like some unnecessary deaf and blind tip
By Lampdog Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:57 am
deegood wrote:really? sounds like some unnecessary deaf and blind tip

I was thinking that but I didn't wanna say it, lol.

Everyone just needs to "hop off the tip" and get back to normal business, lol.
By tbiggz Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:50 pm
sure, I'll admit the discussion is rather ridiculous towards "making music". However, I started a career in microchip design based on a deep interest in the SP1200. A sampling drum machine made in university, then a thesis on A/D converters etc... I made music all through that, but the technical stuff is interesting too.

I gotta believe there is someone out there lurking that thinks some of these discussions are interesting enough to pick up a book on audio engineering (the type that doesn't involve mixing jingles).
By Lampdog Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:54 pm
tbiggz wrote:(the type that doesn't involve mixing jingles).

lmao