Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By respect_mbs Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:12 pm
:lol: it dont matter how you chop. period. But, you shouldn't be held back by not being able to see waveforms. If you prefer using your eyes and ears then more power to ya.
By Blaknif Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:16 pm
Excuse me if I came off as a jackass, I just don't appreciate anyone getting out of line with me like that.
By JUKE 179r Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:27 pm
I'm going to go with the SP12 just to shake things up around here and probably piss some people off.

<---------------------- Plus I've got a gear fetish!
By dtaa pla muk Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:04 pm
Excuse me if I came off as a jackass, I just don't appreciate anyone getting out of line with me like that.

well, the "use your ears" mantra is a pretty silly utterance in 2008.
just saying. don't be surprised at the reaction.
Last edited by dtaa pla muk on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By xibalba1875 Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:43 pm
DeeSprm wrote:imma go with the SP12 too...

I already did thanks to W.!!!!!!
By jaem Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:15 pm
after using a EPS 16+ to chop I hate the destructive chop the the mpc.....uses madd memory

Ensoniq had it.....one sound file with multiple midi files to vary stop and start points...fukin genius
By Lampdog Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:06 am
jaem & Lampdog wrote:after using a ASR10 to chop I hate the destructive chop the the mpc.....uses madd memory

Ensoniq had it.....one sound file with multiple midi files to vary stop and start points...fukin genius
By JUKE 179r Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:13 am
jaem & Lampdog & JUKE 179r wrote:after using a ASR10 to chop I hate the destructive chop the the mpc.....uses madd memory

^^^^ WORD!!!!
By StonesThrow Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:51 am
Imagine if ensoniq was still doin it today? Oh my god it woulda been a problem, they were already so ahead of the mpc.
By Lampdog Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:21 pm
StonesThrow wrote:Imagine if ensoniq was still doin it today? Oh my god it woulda been a problem, they were already so ahead of the mpc.

ASR5000 would be a KILLER right about now. :D
By Blaknif Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:45 pm
Nym wrote:

well, the "use your ears" mantra is a pretty silly utterance in 2008.
just saying. don't be surprised at the reaction.

It's not silly, it's basic fundamentals. If you are not listening to your music at the beggining of its creation, how could you expect someone else to listen to it. I think their is too much reliance on technolgy. Don't get me wrong, waveforms can be helpful, but when you say I can't chop b/c I can't see the wave, that's a big problem. It's not a silly utterence, I'm just saying be fundamentally sound & you won't have a problem.
By Blaknif Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:47 pm
Lampdog wrote:
StonesThrow wrote:Imagine if ensoniq was still doin it today? Oh my god it woulda been a problem, they were already so ahead of the mpc.

ASR5000 would be a KILLER right about now. :D

Imagine this being The Ensoniq ASR Forums!!!!!

That battery powered ASR V would be the lick!!!!!
By dtaa pla muk Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:04 pm
It's not silly, it's basic fundamentals. If you are not listening to your music at the beggining of its creation, how could you expect someone else to listen to it. I think their is too much reliance on technolgy.

the bolded part is what's just plain silly.

"not listening to your music?" come on, now, think about that... not one person is chopping utilizing a waveform display without listening to the slices as they do it. that's your assumption - that it's either X or Y when ideally it's a combination. a "scrub" feature coupled with a vertically/horizontally zoomable waveform is simply the most accurate combination possible without adding a spectroscope into the mix...

BUT, that being said, by virtue of horizontal and vertical zooming, i could easily chop a break "deaf," relying solely on the waveform, more precisely than anyone could "blind" without said waveform. that's just the way it is, it's like comparing a microscope to a glass eye. without listening to the music as i'm chopping it, i could in fact slice it "better" than if i were listening til my eardrums bled. the resulting slices would be slightly tighter.

the question is, of course, at such small values of inprecision, does it matter if the "blind" slicer's slices are less accurate than my "deaf" slices in this example?
not at all. the end listener wouldn't (and hasn't) noticed.
By d_loc Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:23 pm
Wow, sp12 vs. asr10 is a pretty tough choice. I would say, reading between the lines maybe some different outboard might be nice instead. Since you can resample with the mpc1000, maybe a moogerfooger filter and ringmod might be worth looking into. Or a nice hardware channel strip to eq/compress your drums.

The workflow on the mpc1000 is so nice, if you could keep that as your only sampler and use nice outboard to fatten things up, you might be happier than dealing with an old sampler like the sp12......just maybe.......but then again maybe not. I guess an sp12 is the same price as a couple moogerfooger pedals anyway.