Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.

By BeatznBooze Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:23 pm
gmixstudios wrote:what i dont get is why the asr 10 or sp 1200 is the main choice if they are 16 bit and the s950 is 12 bit? would anyone be able to suggest why?

sp1200 is 12 bit

ASR-10 has low sample bit-rate

By gmixstudios Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:24 pm
sp1200 is 12 bit

ASR-10 has low sample bit-rate

right, thanks

By gmixstudios Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:39 pm
ive just seen the link someone posted where it has a comparison with the sp 1200 and the s950 and the sp1200 sounds more gritty to me!!

man its like a minefield
By gmixstudios Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:49 pm
ive just put in an offer for a emax 1 rack, with 10 discs. would you say they sound the same as the sp12 in grittyness?
ive been offered a sp12 turbo too. man i dont know which one will be best for me! im also looking for a old 45 of impeach the president if anyone has it!! ha ha
G
By rokuez Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:34 pm
gmixstudios wrote:ive just put in an offer for a emax 1 rack, with 10 discs. would you say they sound the same as the sp12 in grittyness?
ive been offered a sp12 turbo too. man i dont know which one will be best for me! im also looking for a old 45 of impeach the president if anyone has it!! ha ha
G

no the emax won't match the sp 12 for gritty sounding drums.

Goto www.dxarmy.com/sp1200 <--- tahts the emu sp12, and sp 1200 forums.

There are people there who have both the emax 1, and emu sp 12, and they say the sp12 is more gritty
By Sovereign Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:25 pm
rokuez wrote:
gmixstudios wrote:ive just put in an offer for a emax 1 rack, with 10 discs. would you say they sound the same as the sp12 in grittyness?
G

no the emax won't match the sp 12 for gritty sounding drums.

Goto www.dxarmy.com/sp1200 <--- tahts the emu sp12, and sp 1200 forums.

There are people there who have both the emax 1, and emu sp 12, and they say the sp12 is more gritty

The EMAX 1 is way more gritty than the SP, it's just more complicated.
The SP's are really straight forward and you can learn to do more on them to fit your needs in a quick fashion.
The EMAX 1 requires more understanding to do the simple things and can scare you with what it can do in the SE/HD form if you aren't already up on your game.
The EMAX 1 has variable sample rate as well adjustable filters, so it can crunch a sound in ways that the SP can't even dream of, but as I said before it requires more mentality and understanding than the SP does.
The bigger difference between the units is more about the interface and how playable the SP is.
If you are willing to learn the EMAX it's a crazy box that has some built in aspects that makes chopping pretty easy and memory efficient.

By galegatron Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:45 pm
i bought my emax 1 hd se for that reason.

it gives me all the grittyness i want. its an awesome sampler...

the s950 has digital non resonant filters, the emax analog resonant filters.
of course the sp12/12000 is nice to have but the prices are over the top.

i would get the emax...it wont dispoint you...

By gmixstudios Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:32 pm
sweet mate well something has come up I seen the sp12 turbo for $400 or the emax for $300 man so much to choose from

By Sovereign Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:45 pm
gmixstudios wrote:sweet mate well something has come up I seen the sp12 turbo for $400 or the emax for $300 man so much to choose from

At $300 what model Emax I is it?

By gmixstudios Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:19 am
original emax ie 1

By Avene Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:20 am
The Emax 1, best filters I've ever heard on a sampler! They're true analog, not some digital recreation.. Ended up selling mine though because the midi response time was extremely slow. I remember having to offset the sequences 2 ticks just to bring it into time. But just for sounds, it's probably worth it, providing the drive works alright.

By gmixstudios Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:33 am
ive decided to go for a sp12 turbo, just cos I hear the swing is SICK
it was a close call

By peezie Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:03 am
My emax is sitting in the closet, cause I dont have the se upgrade. Just couldnt get used to the os. Eps took over. good enough for me.