Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.

By jellyjim Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:04 pm
Yeah dudes covet the S900 and S950 (and MPC60 and MPC3000 (?) and Emu SP12/SP1200) because of their 12 bit variable KhZ sampling abilities. Makes for nice crunchy drum sounds.

I had an S900. It was in storage on the floor, cat pee'd behind it. The pee got inside it and ruined it. Damn cat pee burnt tracks off the PCB, I'm not kidding, that stuff is nuclear dude!

By Nojus Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:42 pm
winz wrote:
Nojus wrote:by weak i mean low in gain, somehow dull and with no character. like mpc2kxl and sp12 sounded big and more punchy.

---> the s 950 has no character???
---> the 2xl sounds more punchy???

no, man. no way. never ever.
had to say that.

i stopped sampling with tha xl since i bought tha s950.

my opinion is based on those samples from hiphopproduction dot com. im not saying its a bad machine or something. cause i've never dealt with one. thats why im asking. if yall could hook me up with some more audio examples i'd be straight.

By Nojus Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:49 pm
jellyjim wrote:Yeah dudes covet the S900 and S950 (and MPC60 and MPC3000 (?) and Emu SP12/SP1200) because of their 12 bit variable KhZ sampling abilities. Makes for nice crunchy drum sounds.

I had an S900. It was in storage on the floor, cat pee'd behind it. The pee got inside it and ruined it. Damn cat pee burnt tracks off the PCB, I'm not kidding, that stuff is nuclear dude!

LOL @ cat the sampler destroyer.

btw, it would be interesting to hear if the eps classic (13bit) compare to s950.

By rickrock305 Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:00 pm
jellyjim wrote: Damn cat pee burnt tracks off the PCB, I'm not kidding, that stuff is nuclear dude!

:lol:

By B-Sick Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:15 am
I hope you sampled a sound of you kicking the cat and used it as a fat drum kick...
that really sucks

Did the sampler sound more dirty after the cat urine

By Deta!L Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:27 am
my S950 I bought from someone locally, who was selling it because the owner was killed...when I opened it up to reseat the memory chips there was a mummified mouse inside of it, way inside of it, by the display up in the corner...crazy....ghost in the machine

http://www.myspace.com/adruthemisphit

check the myspace for S.E.E.D. which I did some super extreme time stretching on, also classic lowpass S950 action going..I believe the drums were from the 60 though...also fwiw I didn't know much about gain staging so it could have sounded much better had it been recorded and also eq'd properly, but it's still a great song

By talontsiawd Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:03 am
I agree with OP off those samples put up. But, much of what sounded like weakness atleast to me, was from the volume. The s950 was much lower. Since it was the same samples, it seemed a bit lazy on the site's part to not get that correct. However, it's nice to hear something i know very well against some stuff i hope to buy in the future.