Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By mixedbymuke Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 pm
Take the "EDM ANTHEM" demo song. The bassline appears to be
A single note retriggered in cadence and then later each note is pitched
Up or down from the original note. Are we to believe that this is what the
Song's creator did to get the melody into impc pro? Or is there an easier way?
Quite inconvenient is the fact that there is no indicator telling how far up or down
You Have pitched. So you have to play the loop and trust your ears.
By mixedbymuke Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:42 am
lamp. you telling me you program basslines this way on your 4k? you seriously pitch every note up or down a semitone at a time using your ears? "should be happening". pfft.

nah. didn't think so.

what "should be happening anyway" will differ on who you are talking about. close your eyes and imagine this scenario..

|a studio in LA that retronyms has rented. through the door comes Richard Devine whom retronyms have hired to do some programming on their new Impc pro app. |

Richard Devine: hello. i'm excited to be here and try this new app.
retronyms: great! we are happy to have you and frankly, to put your esteemed name
on our music app.
rd: ok, so give me a little bit here to get my head wrapped around the interface.
hmmm. see i don't know how i'm gonna do melody lines without a piano roll.
retro: oh... that's easy. just pitch up or down by semitones each individual note.
what Mr. Devine? the up or down arrow doesn't really signify how far up or down
you have already gone semitonally? well... use your ears. "This is what should be
happening anyway."
rd: i'm richard devine. who the **** are you?

makes no sense lamp. hence my original post.... how are the pros programming this impc pro for melody lines?

-muke
By Coz Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:48 am
mixedbymuke wrote:Are we to believe that this is what the Song's creator did to get the melody into imlc pro?

They probably created it on a computer and ported it to the app to make it appear far better than it actually is.
By Lampdog Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:33 pm
mixedbymuke wrote:lamp. you telling me you program basslines this way on your 4k? you seriously pitch every note up or down a semitone at a time using your ears? "should be happening". pfft.

nah. didn't think so.

I never suggested that method, you did. Don't imply stuff I didn't say.
On my 2kxl, yes, in the past I have done that though. I'm patient, not looking for a quick way to do anything, so it didn't bother me to do that.

You can create basslines in different ways, it's on you to figure out what works for you.
Yeah, 16 levels wont hit every single note and you might end up programming individual notes that aren't redily present.

You asked the question, be willing to accept opinions and responses.