Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By HSparks Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:06 pm
Im interested in buying a IPAD only for the reason of this new coming technology of beatmaking. Ive owned my MPC2000xl for over 10 years and been stuck with it. I also own the 500 but I just want to know from users if its worth the hassle learning the application and how useful is it? Can you still sample real time from records like the MPC previous series? MIDI? 8outs???? How is it better? Please inform.

Peace
By johnz Tue May 12, 2015 2:56 am
If you already have an MPC then theres nothing to learn, other than not needing to use the Jog Wheel to do things you can pinch to drag selections which is very easy. Its actually built so someone who never touched an MPC can use it easily. Plus there are really good youtube videos from Retronyms explaining what everything does. Its not perfect, its got some flaws.. but for $15 bucks it serves its purpose as a great on the go tool to make beats or sample.

It beats buying an MPC and spending $500-2000.00 for something you don't know if you will continue to use, or find out you got the one that is missing a feature you wanted.

No midi ( everyone complained)
Yes Sample from usb soundcard/camera connection kit, OR microphone, OR song in itunes ( or use a program like AnyTrans or FTP to move a wav file directly to your samples folder)

You got an Apple Store anywhere nearby? You can go there they have a Demo if iMPC pro on all their ipads on display. It cuts you off after 2 minutes and only lets you pick one program, but you can get a feel for it if you are on the fence about blowing a few bucks on the app store.
By johnz Tue May 12, 2015 3:02 am
The other real drawback to no Midi is the fact that Retronyms decided to use its own app called Tabletop which is only compatible with its own world of apps, so if you use other DAWs or beat making apps on iPAD you cant add impc easily.

The only other thing that annoys me is there is no bpm timestretch, theres a pitch slider you have to hold down at all times that wont stay put. ( you have to go in manually and adjust the pitch for each pad. The pitch ok, but its not what you would expect it to do when it comes to time stretching and Quantization
By D'MoBeatFlo Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:43 am
I had and MPC 2000xl many years ago and now I use the Element with iMPC Pro and it feels great, it's like a having a standalone MPC, but with a nicer user interface.
By Fruityboy Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:52 pm
It is I would say for me the cheapest option of getting near an mpc! Very pleased so far apart from the persistent crashes which may be in relation to my iPad! Great mpc tool.
By Lampdog Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:03 pm
Beatmaker 2 for ipad is an all in 1 production studio daw/app. "Beats" impc hands downs.
You failed the minute you even remotely wanted impc. Stop failing, look into BM2, the grass is greener there.
By Fruityboy Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:57 pm
Got to agree! After 5 minutes of BM2 I have seen the light. Won't get rid of my impc as yet but so many more advantages of BM2 already realised! That is a real pity I had hope iMpc was the one. Come akai/retronyms.
By Fruityboy Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:59 pm
Lampdog wrote:Beatmaker 2 for ipad is an all in 1 production studio daw/app. "Beats" impc hands downs.
You failed the minute you even remotely wanted impc. Stop failing, look into BM2, the grass is greener there.

I believe this to be to true and what's more works on iPad and iPhone:) :worthy:
By Lampdog Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:49 pm
I use irig sometimes and midi to triton extreme, mpc4k or Turbo Phatt using bm2 as a midi controller on some channels as well. The export and import features are robust. I have hundreds of my own samples in there. Oh wait, lemme just.....

The pic below is actually a link, click the pic.

By Fruityboy Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:47 pm
Hello
Lampdog wrote:Beatmaker 2 for ipad is an all in 1 production studio daw/app. "Beats" impc hands downs.

And again I feel I must return after my second session to agree with this post. All that I wish the Impc did is rectified in BM2. Is impc worth the money? No! Is Bm2 worth the money? Yes! Is BM2 better to use than Impc pro? Yes! Why? It's does all that impc does with a breeze but so much more. Glad I read this post. Can't believe BM2 was out there for so lng and I missed it. You got a lo of work to do Akai. Sack retronyms for making a mess of your legendary mpc machine which truly are workhorses.

Thank you to Lampdog for the honest elbow to BM2. I'm off to join their forums if there
By Lampdog Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:57 pm
Not a problem, glad you found happiness!