Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By DJ Hellfire Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:35 pm
The form factor of the new iPad is the same as the iPad 2. Only issue I see is Akai coming up with a higher res version of the app to support the retina display! Not bad!

EDIT:
Here's the difference in thickness. Actually looks fairly significant:

Last edited by DJ Hellfire on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Coz Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:00 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:Only issue I see is Akai coming up with a higher res version of the app to support the retina display!

My Bro develops a lot of smartphone and tablet apps and according to him the bane of any app developer is Android, because there is no standard resolution. With Apple they just double the resolution which makes the transition easy.
By BassToTheFace Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:23 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:
BassToTheFace wrote:**** that I wanna know if I can use it on my original ipad. I'm not gunna pay $400+ just to make beats on the go. :x

I'm sure the app will work, although I don't know how efficiently. The pad assembly may work too but the iPad itself won't fit into the case!

I'm only worried about the app anyway. I'll save however much the fly costs and just get the app, then use the money I saved for a ren :D
By groovemonger Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:03 am
That's the trouble when apple change the form factor, even slightly, and you've bought these expensive add ons tied to a particular model?

Maybe it'll just be safer to hook up a generic MPD (or MPC Studio?) via the camera kit? Not as neat, but at least it's more future proof.

Hopefully the Alesis IO Dock will be okay as that works with iPad 1 and 2 and has some give. I think it's only the thickness that's changed slightly on iPad 3.
By Coz Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 am
groovemonger wrote:That's the trouble when apple change the form factor, even slightly, and you've bought these expensive add ons tied to a particular model?

It's a pretty solid rumour that Apple are trying to miniaturise the 30 pin dock connector to allow even thinner form factors. There's a chance we'll see that from the iPhone 5 onwards.
By iB-BOY! Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:53 pm
Does anybody know if the Fly has/will have midi connectors or USB connectors to hook up other devices?

I think that this is a must. I will get the app for sure, but if the controller doesn't come with connectors i will use something like the Behringer istudio or Alesis dock ( Behringer istudio appears to be much better imo ) in conjunction with a korg padcontrol.

The ipad isn't a toy anymore, i hope that Akai will go this direction away from a traditional computer, something as big as the Ren, a MPC Superfly would be killer. Just transfer the new MPC software to the ipad, if others can do full blown DAW's for ipad like Auria, Akai could do it as well!

MPC Superfly, killer name for a device or not? :lol: