Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By inflict3 Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:09 pm
fanboy???? dude, im a maschine owner, ive been using reason since it first dropped back in 2000 and i have a 2000xl, a 1000.... ur the fagboy dude... pads are better then the mpc1000.. battery life is actually fine.. i have rechargeables and swap em out like every 2 to 3 days, just keep the backlight turned off most the time... but u already know it all dont you?? ur pretty wack dude. go swing off the beat kangz nutz cause we are all stocked up over here with lames like you....and from ur posts we can already tell u dont know ur ass from a hole in the ground :fku:
By Metatron72 Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:50 pm
inflict3 wrote:we are all stocked up over here with lames like you....and from ur posts we can already tell u dont know ur ass from a hole in the ground :fku:

Yeah no doubt. The cup runs over with wack juice, and the lames are too happy to keep filling it.

Tools for a craft is what our devices and software are. These crusades are like arguing I can't hammer a nail with a Craftsman branded tool and only Stanley's hammers can drive a nail... :roll:
By coolderb Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:30 pm
bigbolo73 wrote:i think the 500 is great. i have the impc on my ipad and i use that as well. but to be beating up on glass drum pads sometimes just doesnt feel the same. also with the limits the impc has sometimes the ideas you have either have to be shortened or put on hold. at least with the 500 the only thing i see as a problem is just not being able to see the wav form. but, at the same time i think that is a form of ear training of sound. to pay attention to details of a sound instead of looking at it. i mean us a producers, composers, etc dont we do that in the lab? sit back and listen to what we have created or what we are chopping up or what we have just mixed. when we work sometimes we turn away from the screen to hear what we've done same as we tend to wanna stay away from the mouse. 500 is that. Akai didnt market the 500 well imo.

Exactly! As I mentioned in a previous post, the 500 makes a nice companion/controller to the Ipad.You can even chop stuff on the Ipad using apps. such as Beat Twirl(which reminds me of Recycle),Beatmaker or iMPC which all support chopping from the iTunes library.The chops can then be copied directly to the 500 using iFile to take advantage of the 500's velocity sensitive pads and sequencer. I even have a CF adapter that plugs directly into the Ipad for faster copying directly to the CF card.

As far as the pads on the 500 being subpar,the stock pads were ok, but the fat pads from MPCStuff were inexpensive, easy to install and are way more sensitive.

Peace
By Riggs Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:24 pm
I use a 500 for everything right now. Using it exclusively has forced me to get creative to make some of the sounds I wanted. So far, I've found a way to do it all and each time it's given me new ideas to try in my new tunes. But I'm really into that limitation thing right now. No wires, no studio, no gear, just a mpc 500 and a zoom h1.

I had to write up something for this thread cause I came real close to selling the 500 a couple of months back to buy an iPad and go 100% nanostudio & beatmaker. I've used nanostudio on and off for a couple of years on my iPod so I started writing songs on it to make my decision solid and while these apps like beatmaker and nanostudio have got lots of features, there's just something missing. I can't really put my finger on what it is but it comes down to this...

I like the music I make on the mpc. I don't like the music I make on the computer or tablet.

This includes Reaper, Ableton, Renoise, Garageband, Protools.

10 years from now, I expect to still have the 500. I'll still be able to use it just like I do now. I don't see this as a problem. I bought my guitar new 11 years ago and I still play it all the time. Except I'm better at it now.

In 10 years, I'm sure I won't have any of the computers I have now.

And with all that being said, you'll look a lot more sane on a bus using an iPad. :lol:
By Metatron72 Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:34 pm
Riggs wrote:And with all that being said, you'll look a lot more sane on a bus using an iPad. :lol:

True. :lol:

But even with an iPad once you start drumming people are like "wow that guy has a pretty rhythmic way of reading email."

Or when I ride buses around 3:00 all the loud rah rah high schoolers are screaming. "OOOOHHH SHIT HE MAKING A BEAT!!!"

:lol:
By emptysea Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:20 pm
inflict3 wrote:pads are better then the mpc1000.. battery life is actually fine.. i have rechargeables and swap em out like every 2 to 3 days, just keep the backlight turned off most the time... but u already know it all dont you??

No. The pads on both the 1000 and 500 were wack from my experience. The 2000 pads felt better but as we all know, all akai pads suffer from the same design flaw hence the pad mods.
By Metatron72 Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:28 pm
emptysea wrote:
inflict3 wrote:pads are better then the mpc1000.. battery life is actually fine.. i have rechargeables and swap em out like every 2 to 3 days, just keep the backlight turned off most the time... but u already know it all dont you??

No. The pads on both the 1000 and 500 were wack from my experience. The 2000 pads felt better but as we all know, all akai pads suffer from the same design flaw hence the pad mods.

Most people ain't gonna let $40 stand in there way to address that. And there are so many 1000's that have the upgraded sensors in already.

So as always you basically up in here having convos with yourself. Or are you gonna tell us again how you get flooded with emails and messages that you saved them from the terror of MPC's?

I'll keep using the same basic analogy here, why don't you go to a Ford lot and scream CHEVY! all day? Do us all a favor and be sure to play in traffic on your way there.
By Riggs Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 pm
Metatron72 wrote:But even with an iPad once you start drumming people are like "wow that guy has a pretty rhythmic way of reading email."

Haha! Yeah, I guess there's no getting away from it. I should take my 500 and go hit panera or starbucks and hang out with the laptop coffee drinking people.

Tap-it-ti-tap-tap pause slurp Tap-it-ti-tap-tap
By JazzyDrewProductions Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 pm
Metatron72 wrote:
Riggs wrote:And with all that being said, you'll look a lot more sane on a bus using an iPad. :lol:

True. :lol:

But even with an iPad once you start drumming people are like "wow that guy has a pretty rhythmic way of reading email."

Or when I ride buses around 3:00 all the loud rah rah high schoolers are screaming. "OOOOHHH **** HE MAKING A BEAT!!!"

:lol:

Ha! Funny
By JazzyDrewProductions Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 pm
emptysea wrote:

Emptysea Dude. I'm pretty impartial here because I don't own an mpc. I use Maschine. But you really sound like a fanboy. It's kinda annoying. These things are all tools for creating music and once you figure that out you'll realize that they all have a place in this spectrum. You know...NI has forums bro just sayin
By Metatron72 Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 pm
I left NI Forum long ago to just get away from this kid, he does the anti MPC crap there too. He just copy/pastes his ish under at least 3 different names all over the web. A guy outed his Ableton Maschine shill moniker a month ago or so in a thread here.

Not unlike another user here in this forum he will swear up and down he doesn't care about what tools others use. :roll:
By inflict3 Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:17 pm
emptysea wrote:

again, u are wrong.. yes, they basically use the same pads and sensor strip(upgraged black mpc1000)but there is more of an air gap between the pads on my 1000... yes, it is an easy cheap fix with the corx, but we are talking about the 500.. the pads were always fine. i got mine back in 08' and ordered black 1000 pads cut off the extra 4 and put em in, they felt softer. now i have some 1000 black fat pads in my 500 cause i didnt want the stupid lil mpcstuff logo on my shit i got the 1000 ones and cut the extra row off, my 500 didnt even need corx cause the pads are fine, granted they are not as sensitive as maschines, but i actually prefer that sometimes. i love maschine too! dont get me wrong, i can do some shit on maschine that u could only dream of doing with a 500, but thats not the point... the point is the 500 is a decent mpc, yes its limited and i too thought of selling it. but the limitation helps with creativeness and like someone else said i will have my 500 way longer then most of my computers and in 10 years i will know every aspect of it in and out... i love my 500, i can walk around making beats, no wires, no mouse, no computer, just some headphones and my mp. i even have a lil portable dvd player case from radio shack that looks like a mini laptop case. the thing goes EVERYWHERE with me...... fanboy i am not though.. ask lamp who informed him on beatmaker2 so he aint gotta carry his 2000xl to war with him.. he has thanked me twice in pms. different people work different, not one hammer is gonna fit everyones hand the same... some people might work better with bm2, some with a 500.. bm2 has just about eveything, if not more features then jjos does, so why use a 500?? we aint usen it for the features, or cause we are too broke, no we are using it cause we want to and like it, i love the way my 500 feels, it feels better under my fingers then any drum machine/controller i got right now, i even like the way it feels compared to my 2000xl :shock:
By emptysea Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 pm
inflict3 wrote:different people work different, not one hammer is gonna fit everyones hand the same... some people might work better with bm2, some with a 500..

Of course. I'm only speaking from my own experience. I just can't in good conscience recommend the MPC500 anymore for mobile use due to what I personally find to be much smarter/superior options being available nowdays.
By coolderb Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 pm
To repond to the original posters question,I have and use both, but for your particular situation I would recommend the Ipad.It is lighter,easier to manuever in a tight area and also provides other functions such as e-mail,TV,radio,remote access to home computers,etc. You can also use it to chop samples for the 500 and transfer them when you get home. I found a CF adapter that plugs into the Ipad and makes copying files a breeze. It was only $10 on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Connection-Kit- ... 27cee6deb8

It works great!