Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By JazzyDrewProductions Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 pm
I've got to say I'm a bit biased because I own an iPad. I'm not a fanboy but my home studio is Maschine based however at some point I would love to get a 1000 because I think I could expand my creative pallet. With that said I must say that some of the iOS music apps are quite capable and I would rather have my iPad handy to bang out a beat when inspiration strikes. Plus iMPC, Tabletop, and Beatmaker2 all allow you to sample directly from you music library. You can actually chop your samples in beatmaker2 to make a custom program on the spot! I believe you could hinder yourself by trying to get a beat started on 500 on the bus. Just don't waste ur money on the Fly whenever it actually drops. Big waste. And for $27 you have beatmaker2, iMPC, and Tabletop. Plus I was fighting getting an iPad for the longest but its the best investment I've made in a long time. And iPad 4 I crazy fast. Enjoy.
P.s. I have been using iMPC/ tabletop for upwards of 4 hours with brightness all the way up and battery went from 100 to 78 so not too bad.
By JazzyDrewProductions Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:31 pm
I agree Metatron,I picked up a used 500 for $250 from GC in Manhatten.I use it with the Ipad as an intelligent controller that has standalone capabilities.It makes a neat portable studio which can be thrown in a backpack and quickly setup when I arrive at my destination.I even discovered that I can access the files on the CF card in the 500 from the Ipad using iFile.I can now chop on the Ipad and copy the files to the 500 without needing a computer![/quote]

That's pretty dope about iFile.
By bigbolo73 Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18 am
i think the 500 is great. i have the impc on my ipad and i use that as well. but to be beating up on glass drum pads sometimes just doesnt feel the same. also with the limits the impc has sometimes the ideas you have either have to be shortened or put on hold. at least with the 500 the only thing i see as a problem is just not being able to see the wav form. but, at the same time i think that is a form of ear training of sound. to pay attention to details of a sound instead of looking at it. i mean us a producers, composers, etc dont we do that in the lab? sit back and listen to what we have created or what we are chopping up or what we have just mixed. when we work sometimes we turn away from the screen to hear what we've done same as we tend to wanna stay away from the mouse. 500 is that. Akai didnt market the 500 well imo.
By Metatron72 Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:25 am
bigbolo73 wrote:but to be beating up on glass drum pads sometimes just doesnt feel the same.

It doesn't of course, but what puzzles me is why don't the app makers who have pads in their apps do what the synth developers do and put velocity and aftertouch on the pad as you put your taps further up the pad or slide up in the case of after touch.

It works great, feels relatively natural after a minute or so, and could be easily something you could toggle if you wanted the always full velocity style.
By emptysea Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:17 pm
Metatron72 wrote:
bigbolo73 wrote:but to be beating up on glass drum pads sometimes just doesnt feel the same.

It doesn't of course, but what puzzles me is why don't the app makers who have pads in their apps do what the synth developers do and put velocity and aftertouch on the pad as you put your taps further up the pad or slide up in the case of after touch.

It works great, feels relatively natural after a minute or so, and could be easily something you could toggle if you wanted the always full velocity style.

Don't know about aftertouch but there are apps like Garageband that have velocity sensitivity on the onscreen pads without using the "tapping/sliding up/down" method. I have seen controller apps that do have velocity implemented on onscreen pads using a slider or by where on the pad you hit.

Anyway, MPC500 would be a total waste of money at this point. Even if one wanted tactile pads, there are plenty of dirt cheap and more portable mikro-sized pad controllers that plug into the iPad.
By Metatron72 Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:19 pm
emptysea wrote:by where on the pad you hit.

I know that's exactly what I said. :roll:

But glad you got a chance to tell someone not to use an MPC today, I know that's very important to you.
By Metatron72 Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:53 pm
emptysea wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:
emptysea wrote:by where on the pad you hit.

I know that's exactly what I said. :roll:

Nope. You may need to brush up on reading comprehension skills. I explicitly specified controller apps.

And what? You opened by disagreeing and then proceeded to say the same thing and added the word controller. Which I purposely paid no attention to because again you opened by disagreeing and then saying the same exact thing.

Why don't you go to a Target and tell everyone to go to K-mart if you need ways to fulfill you bizarro mentality and just spare us the aggravation of NO MPC NO MPC MASCHINE MASCHINE MMM GERMAN NUTS IN MY MOUTH.
By emptysea Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm
Metatron72 wrote:You opened by disagreeing and then proceeded to say the same thing and added the word controller. Which I purposely paid no attention to because again you opened by disagreeing and then saying the same exact thing.

Again, you really need to brush up on reading comprehension skills. I wasn't disagreeing with you.
By Metatron72 Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 pm
emptysea wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:You opened by disagreeing and then proceeded to say the same thing and added the word controller. Which I purposely paid no attention to because again you opened by disagreeing and then saying the same exact thing.

Again, you really need to brush up on reading comprehension skills. I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Even I did misread it what's the difference? End game is the same because well..it's you.

652 'BUY MASCHINE" posts to a crowd that already either has one for the most part or doesn't care.

Good luck with your never ending fool's crusade.

By inflict3 Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:48 am
emptysea wrote:The point is that MPC500 would be a total waste of money at this point for a mobile music production tool considering much better options available.

actually, you are wrong!!! mpc500 is totally capable and more portable then most shit plus it has pads, decent ones and u can use it stand alone with out having it hooked up to other shit.. you can sample with it, chop with it. I would rather use my 500 then sum stupid cheap feeling ipad... so speak for yourself :smoker:
By Metatron72 Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:53 am
emptysea wrote:The point is that MPC500 would be a total waste of money at this point for a mobile music production tool considering much better options available.

Not to someone who doesn't let irrational crusades against a particular brand shape their decisions.

I doubt a 600+ post user here has ever contributed less than you.
By emptysea Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 am
inflict3 wrote:

actually, you are wrong!!! mpc500 is totally capable and more portable then most shit plus it has pads, decent ones and u can use it stand alone with out having it hooked up to other shit.. you can sample with it, chop with it. I would rather use my 500 then sum stupid cheap feeling ipad... so speak for yourself :smoker:

Sorry, but it's really not. Its pads are horrible. The battery life sucks. It's a one trick pony and not really worth it at this point. I get that you're a fanboy though.