Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By einzenheim Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 am
I just recently got the IMPC and I didn't expect it to be anything amazing on it's own. I did expect it to have a cut by or choke feature built in though; at the least. I am not entirely sure if its just something I do not know how to do or if it is not a feature at all. I would greatly appreciate if some one would enlighten me on the matter. That way I could decide whether to get a refund for the app or not before it is too late for me to do so.

by the way in case you are not sure what i mean by the term "cut off" or "choke", these are features that when active will stop the playback of one pad when another pad is being played. so no more then 1 or a defined number of pads are played at any one point in time.
By Metatron72 Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:24 am
They foolishly left it out. The app while a bit of fun is miles behind Beatmaker 2. Honestly even with the lower $6.99USD price tag iMPC makes Beatmaker 2 look like a bargain at $19.99.

I'm hoping Retronyms add it in an update as it's such a basic aspect of an MPC historically.
By einzenheim Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:52 am
Thanks a bunch. I have no idea why they would leave something like that out and think that it would have the same MPC flow. To me that is like a MPC with out the Swing feature. At this point I have tried fl studio mobile and IMPC and both don't have the choke feature. Do you know if Beatmaker 2 has the choke feature.

I am beginning to start looking in to just getting a MPD18 and a Laptop if i want to d music on the go. I know i wont be able to do it on the train or at the bus stop like i thought i would have been able to with the fly and fl studio but its beggining to look like the only option.
By Metatron72 Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:10 am
einzenheim wrote:Do you know if Beatmaker 2 has the choke feature.

I am beginning to start looking in to just getting a MPD18 and a Laptop if i want to d music on the go.

Yes, Beatmaker 2 has the feature implemented as exclusive groups and you can have 128 groups to assign pads to. :nod:

I might suggest a Korg nanopad over the MPD18. Every MPD has to used on Full Level or it takes two ans 3 finger bashes, and even then playing with any dynamics is a nightmare. The MPC stuff Fat Pads do solve the issue very well, I have those in a MPD32.

Out the box the korg pads have the sensitivity of a good hardware MPC like the XL for example.

But yeah Beatmaker is so worth the higher price, and a guy who posts here has a nice little MPC influenced app for $1.99

Beat-Machine iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id505825861?mt=8

Intua Beatmaker 2 overview - http://www.intua.net/products/beatmaker2

I think the Fly is kind of expensive and the bulk of it is almost laptop sized anyway. Certainly a laptop and small controller is way more versatile, but like you said not as feasible right in the bus seat. :)

But even with the more convenient Fly people would look at you like you crazy once you really start grooving on those longer rides. :lol: (I used to have a 2 hour school commute with iPad in tow.)
By einzenheim Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:13 pm
honestly i dont think i would be too bashful in public. i dont care how i look whne music is concerned lol. it would seem like the beatmaker will be the way to go then. i love the idea of the fly and thats why i wanted to give impc a try and hopefully akai will not be stengy and allow other programs use the hardware like they have already stated with fl studio. thanks for all the intell though