Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By Sksilva Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:56 pm
From iMPC app description: "The app’s built-in sampler can record samples three different ways: using the mic on the iPad, using the line input on the iPad, or using the multi-touch turntable interface in iMPC to record samples directly from iTunes or other music libraries."

How do you record samples through the line input?
By Sksilva Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:08 am
Thanks. With the Tascam iXZ, do you just plug it into the iPad headphone jack to import audio? Also, can any audio source be plugged into the iXZ, or just guitar/mic? For example, could you run an iPod or output from a DJ mixer through it? Thanks again.
By Pjm Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:51 am
My set up is simple. I use a guitar jack from mixer to tascam then into the headphone jack on the ipad. The iXZ has headphone jack so you can monitor the audio.
By Fritz609 Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:29 am
Im trying to figure this out now for IMPC and IMPC Pro. I used an aux cord (headphone jack from iphone playong song i want to sample to headphone jack of ipad mini running IMPC/Pro) and it didnt do anything but hear me in the background from the Mic. How do i switch from Mic to Line?
By Fritz609 Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:39 am
Now that I'm searching for an answer, i realize that there is no documentation or guide or video in regards to recording via line input. The user guide doesn't show anything and Akai's video series is missing episode 9 (which i believe happens to be the video talking about this "so-called" feature). In video 10 it starts out with the guy refering to a sample from last video but Akai has no last week's video on there. Sounds like some Akai BS.
By SimonInAustralia Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:03 am
:hmmm: I think that the headphone jack on the iPad is output only, not an input, so you can't input audio through the headphone jack to record as a sample.

I think you need some sort of audio interface/cable connected to the lighting connector to be able to provide an audio input to the iPad.

There is a mono microphone input on the headphone jack, designed for use with headset microphones. You could maybe use a cable that connects to that, with some adapters, to get a mono line level input into the iPad through the headphone jack. Maybe something like this, with an adapter to change the 1/4" plug to something that you can connect to the output of your other device...

http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipad-mini/guitarconnect-cable

...but probably better to do it with something connected to the lightning connector, designed for stereo line level input.
By Fritz609 Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:23 am
Im using the focusrite itrack dock and it works to record into other apps like garageband and such. I just cant figure out how to record into impc/pro within the app. I went through all the drop down menus and i tried to hit where it says mic/line and nothing. Only hears sounds from the ipad internal mic. This is frustrating.
By TUBBZ Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:35 pm
Suffering the same problem here using an iPad 3 and a Behringer IS202 dock, it appears to me to be a fault with the app that it is not switching the internal Mic off when the iPad is docked.
By robosardine Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:57 pm
coolderb wrote:I use a cheap Behringer UCA-222 plugged into the USB port of the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK) to sample from my portable turntables, Ipod or even from my FM radio at times. Works great:)

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B0023BYDHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413384233&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+u-control+uca222

I have tried this and can only get the sound of the mic as well- (tv in the background) does anyone know how to set this up- to record through the line input?
By robosardine Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:32 pm
Has anybody tried the Alesis IO Dock 11 with the ipad Air?

btw I have contacted technical support- UK is unable to give an answer at the moment- though did send me an email stating that the above 'should' work- according to their engineers. They need to refer it to the US Parent company for an accurate answer- apparently this can be quite 'tricky due to the time difference' :Sigh: (Ikid you not). I am persisting though until I can get a definitive answer.

Also btw- has anyone had any problems with the inter app recording. Mine silences Korg Gadget even though it looks like it is playing- for some reason.