Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By rokendearp Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:09 pm
Not sure if it is useful for anyone, but I really wanted to use my LPD8 with IMPC properly or as well as possible.

I have managed to map the IMPC app without using midi bridge or tabletop and seeing as I could find just about no help or info on the subject I thought I would share what I had found and the preset.

And yeh, it was a pain in the arse. It basically only accepts note on commands and translates those within IMPC to controller commands (...or so it seems)

Tips and info:

This is setup for just one LPD8 to give complete control of IMPC, but it involves bank switching. Personally I found it more useful to use an unnamed controller with 16 pads to drum and the LPD8 as a dedicated controller. I will try to find a way to share those setups also, but this is probably not the best place for presets for non Akai hardware.

1. Note repeat is a toggle, go to bank 4, activate then go back to the drumpad bank to drum with repeat on.

2. 2 x LPD8's would probably work great, and the images are in the zip file so you could easily remap 2 of them for better control.

3. Fine Control is not working, neither is sequence select (yet) I am working on trying to see if its possible to control volumes (although there appears to be no midi info sent or received, I also don't see those controls on the MPC fly, so probably not doable)

4. This means if you use time correct or 16 levels you will still need to touch the screen to select or change the rates or effect.

Download Preset Here
Last edited by rokendearp on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rokendearp Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:10 am
yes, I have been through the info and it only seems to give you MIDI control of the 16 pads and nothing else. This has most controls available to you on the LPD8 directly.

So just to reiterate.

THIS IS TO CONTROL IMPC (inc transport and perf) WITH THE LPD8 WITHOUT TABLETOP!!!! or MIDIBRIDGE!!

So 4 banks, 1&2 for pads, and 3&4 for controls including record and performance (Note repeat, time correct, 16 levels etc..).

Everyone points to the tabletop app, but I don't like it so don't want to use it and didn't feel like I should have to in order to use AKAI hardware with AKAI software.

Thanks for the reply, but I prefer to be able to just unplug my keyboard and pads from my mac and plug them straight into my ipad and have them work without any faffing about when im out and about!
By coolderb Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:41 pm
rokendearp wrote:yes, I have been through the info and it only seems to give you MIDI control of the 16 pads and nothing else. This has most controls available to you on the LPD8 directly.

So just to reiterate.

THIS IS TO CONTROL IMPC (inc transport and perf) WITH THE LPD8 WITHOUT TABLETOP!!!! or MIDIBRIDGE!!

So 4 banks, 1&2 for pads, and 3&4 for controls including record and performance (Note repeat, time correct, 16 levels etc..).

Everyone points to the tabletop app, but I don't like it so don't want to use it and didn't feel like I should have to in order to use AKAI hardware with AKAI software.

Thanks for the reply, but I prefer to be able to just unplug my keyboard and pads from my mac and plug them straight into my ipad and have them work without any faffing about when im out and about!

Cool, thanks. Yeah I hate the fact that the iMPC app. within Tabletop is missing a lot of features and doesn't even share the same samples and sequences. Really lame.

I needed up getting the Quneo as a portable controller because it has a very powerful editor and stores 16 templates.
By MeSoHordey Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 pm
Thanks for this rokendearp. This is great work and definitely useful.
By rokendearp Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:45 pm
Some extra info then for anyone who wants to map the controls for any reason.

MIDI NOTE - CHANNEL 1

STOP : A4
PLAY : G#4
OVERDUB : C#4

TRACK UP : D-1 (D MINUS 1)
TRACK DOWN : D#-1 (D# MINUS 1)

MUTE : D2
SOLO : D#2
UNDO : F2

16 LEVELS : E1
TIME CORRECT : C#2
NOTE REPEAT : G1
ERASE : A-2 (A MINUS 2)
By coolderb Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:39 am
Thanks! This info. came in handy for getting InterAppAudio to work in iMPC due to a bug that causes background audio to pause as soon as an IAA instrument is launched from within iMPC. To get it to play again I just have to send the G#4 and it plays the iMPC pattern and I'm then able to record from the other app into iMPC.
By rokendearp Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:02 pm
Great, glad it helped!

I am trying to do something similar with the Nord beat Step sequencer and the Little Midi machine sequencer. They manage to work as a step perfectly over virtual MIDI but I need to sync start in order to record the pattern.

Currently trying to configure MIDI bridge to send the transport start message to the step once I press record/Play on the IMPC app, so convert the note on to a start message.